Suggestion on moving/copying lots of files

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Ross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Suggestion on moving/copying lots of files

Post by Ross »

I'm not sure x2 is already capable of doing this so I'm suggesting out of the blue, just in case! :)

When copying or moving files from on pane to another, sometimes the queue is very big. Stopping the transfer to resume later (not pausing) is not a very good idea because we don't know where it stopped last time. And we do have to restart Windows sometimes, maybe after an update. This is specially common after reinstalling our OS, replacing hard drives, when we have to move 300GB+ of files: it will also be the time when Windows nags us with updates.

Besides, there is the inconvenience of forced shutdown/restart that catches us with the low guard, which sometimes breaks the transfer in the middle. Other times we just have to stop and shut down, and the file being transfered is already allocated on the destination location, but not entirely transfered, so it will take the space like it was in it's whole, opening the door for confusion: the user will think the file is ok, but it's actually corrupted.

So, there could be the option inside the file transfer job window: "stop after current". When clicked, x2 would wait until the current file finishes transfering and possibly would remember where the user stopped. AND/OR, at the time we clicked that button, a sort of a log file would display with two lists: files transfered ok and pending files.

It would be nice to resume the transfer in the future!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion on moving/copying lots of files

Post by nikos »

what you can do to resume a failed copy without copying everything from the start is to set the robust options to "overwrite if newer else skip" mode. Then files that were already copied will be skipped
Ross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ross »

I thought moving (copying, actually) files with F4 would trigger the robust copy, but instead the little window that opens is named "advanced transfer", not "robust transfer". Did I forget to set something? How to enable the robust transfer by default? From what I read in the manual a long ago, robust transfer and normal transfer are different things!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you must mean F5 not F4 and in that case you are using the robust/advanced transfer
Ross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ross »

Sorry Nikos for the long time without showing up. I had a lot of problems here so I could check the forum.

Yes, I meant F5. I changed to F4 because I was used to use F5 to refresh rather than Alt+R... and I did a long time ago so I kinda forgot it.

So, what do you think about my suggestion, the idea itself and the feasibility? :)
railshot

Post by railshot »

nikos wrote:what you can do to resume a failed copy without copying everything from the start is to set the robust options to "overwrite if newer else skip" mode. Then files that were already copied will be skipped
How will that option help with the file that was being copied at the time of interruption? The destination will contain the partial file. All time stamps, at the source and at the destination, will be identical. So the partial file will be simply skipped and the user won't know until he/she tries to you use it. I think something like "skip identical" option would help.