Preformance problems (registry...?) - Registry problems far from rare...

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

reltuk

Post by reltuk »

OK, in the FAQ, it talks about the start-up/shut-down process being relatively slow if you move a bunch of the taskbars around and the registry gets in a bit of an instable state.  The solution presented is to delete the entire 2xExplorer key/folder with regedit.  I just downloaded 2xExplorer for my WinXPPro Laptop running litestep.  When I first start it, it shows up very fast, as fast, if not faster, then explorer.  However, when I try to start it after that, sometimes it will come up fast for a couple times, but eventually it starts taking forever to come up...  Deleting the registry key, does, in fact, fix it.  I don't really change *any* settings though, so I don't understand why this would be a problem.  Is it possible that another program is interfering with this one or something?  Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot...
--Aaron
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you are not moving the toolbars about then that's a new one for me. Which version are you using?

next time this happens, please export the whole registry key of 2x and send it to me -- perhaps i can figure out the cause
reltuk

Post by reltuk »

OK, here's the whole registry key from the setup.

I can't actually be sure it's the registry, because this is a laptop and sometimes things are slower to load even when it seems they shouldn't be.  The thing that gets me is that the processor usage shoots up to 100% for about 4 - 10 seconds, whereas when it's loading fast, it just pops up and the processor usage doesn't peak for even a full second.

Help -> About says that I'm using Product Build: 1.3.1.12.  I can only assume this is the newest one, since I downloaded it less then 48 hours ago...

--Aaron

Attachment: http://netez.com/bbphp/uploads/post-15- ... plorer.reg
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

was this registry key you sent taken before or after the slow down started? -> i can't see anything wrong with it

the symptom described in FAQ# 11 is a registry key that has tons of data -- yours was ok

since your problem goes away when you delete the registry key I wonder whether it's all about reading some folder you were visiting last, which for some reason is not easily accessible (network path?)

either that or i'm running out of clues here :shrug:
reltuk

Post by reltuk »

OK, apparently the problem was with litestep and another program that was running (haven't figured out which one yet...), not with 2xExplorer.  2xExplorer pops up pretty much immediately now, and it's really awesome.  Thanks for your help.

--Aaron