Scrap Containers

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jw

Scrap Containers

Post by jw »

The operation of the Scrap Containers is puzzling.

1. Open a scrap container. It is visible on screen.

2. Select a file to add to the scrap container. The scrap container is immediately minimised to the Windows taskbar. Why? I'm using it and want it to be visible.

3. I must then drag-drop or CTRL-S to the taskbar (there's nowhere else to go). In the case of drag-drop the scrap container re-appears and I'm told that I can't drag-drop to the taskbar after all. So I then drop the files in the scrap container, which is all I wanted to do in the first place. For CTRL-S, clicking on the taskbar causes the scrap container to re-appear. If I want to add more items I must repeat this mini-ritual.

The (excellent!) User Manual doesn't seem to mention this odd quirk.

Why doesn't the scrap container remain visible so drag-drop and CTRL-S can be done directly to it?

Windows XP Pro, SP2.  
xplorer2 1.7.1.0.

Regards
John
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when i try it the scrap container doesn't minimize; mind it stays in the background so that the main xplorer2 window may be obscuring it, but ctrl+S will work even if you can't see the items added

alternatives would be to resize both windows so that you can have them both visible, or checking the "topmost" menu item in the scrap (click on the top left corner)
rsleegers

Re: Scrap Containers

Post by rsleegers »

jw wrote:3. I must then drag-drop or CTRL-S to the taskbar (there's nowhere else to go). In the case of drag-drop the scrap container re-appears and I'm told that I can't drag-drop to the taskbar after all. So I then drop the files in the scrap container, which is all I wanted to do in the first place. For CTRL-S, clicking on the taskbar causes the scrap container to re-appear. If I want to add more items I must repeat this mini-ritual.
This is pure Windows - if you want to drag/drop to a minimized window, you drag to the taskbar, pause on the program you want restored, it opens up, then you continue dragging and drop to the restored program.

I too, tried and achieved the same results as nikos ... Is the shortcut for your xplorer2 set to start minimized? Perhaps the child windows are using that setting.
Richard
Registered xplorer² user since 4/30/2008
jw

Post by jw »

'Topmost' fixed it, and I didn't even know it was there.  How many years have I been using PCs?

Thanks, Nikos and Richard.  You're quite right, it is pure Windows, and so a slapped wrist for me for doubting xplorer2!

Regards
John