Simple rename

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Disc Golfer

Post by Disc Golfer »

This does most of what you want, except replace '_' with ' '
http://www.febooti.com/products/filetweak/members/case/

I've been using it for years, its free
My 2 €'s on enhancing X2's rename - I use 4 'file system' renamers - BRU, Febooti, Shelltoys, and X2 and the rename facilties in- FastPictureViewer for images and Calibre for eBooks - I would not expect X2 or any other file manager to cover all those bases.

@Disk Golfer - have you considered using Calibre to manage your Ebook Library, its free, highly functional and is under continuous development.  Well worth the (un)learning curve.  Has a very helpful user community.  Bug fixes and small enhancements are typically done within 2 weeks - with early release to the 'initiator'.   Runs on Windows, OS/X & Linux - supports dozens of eBook readers and formats.

8)
thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the febooti program and it seems good but I'm unable to get it to work. I have tried it on a Windows 7 64 bit and a Vista 32 bit machine. It installs and when I right click and choose "case" I get the dialog but when I choose any case, the "apply" button never activates and when I click "ok" nothing happens. I assume it's an administrative rights problem.

I have been using Calibre and love it but unless I'm missing something it does not change the case of multiple files and folders regardless of if I wanting to add them to my reader or not.
-------------
For now I reinstalled a free 60 days version of directory opus to use for case changing . I will still try to get the febooti program to work.
-------------
I know it might seem odd for the Mod to download a competitors program... I suggest downloading a trial version of directory opus to see how nice this one feature is.... no leaving your directory and then searching for it a third party program, no script writing, no dragging... just highlight the files and folder and click to change.
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

Disc Golfer wrote:thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the febooti program and it seems good but I'm unable to get it to work. I have tried it on a Windows 7 64 bit and a Vista 32 bit machine. It installs and when I right click and choose "case" I get the dialog but when I choose any case, the "apply" button never activates and when I click "ok" nothing happens. I assume it's an administrative rights problem.
Yeah, probably - I have UAC off
Disc Golfer wrote:I have been using Calibre and love it but unless I'm missing something it does not change the case of multiple files and folders regardless of if I wanting to add them to my reader or not.
In Bulk Metadata Edit you can Change Multiple Book Names to Title Case, the check boxes are just above the Change Cover panel.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
Disc Golfer

the febooti program

Post by Disc Golfer »

The interesting thing is that I decided to try and use the program in DO and Explorer  and it worked.... still won't work in X2.

[and it doesn't have the underscore to spaces option which is a must]
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: the febooti program

Post by RightPaddock »

Disc Golfer wrote:The interesting thing is that I decided to try and use the program in DO and Explorer  and it worked.... still won't work in X2.

[and it doesn't have the underscore to spaces option which is a must]
That's odd, works OK in X2 here, but if the underscore replacement is a must have its not for you anyway.  

The Apply button never lights up in X2 or WE, but I always hit OK anyway.

Image - Aaah, did you do a Refresh, Windows is inherently case insensitive - so it does not differentiate between AAA.TXT and aaa.txt - so in Windows a case change is an irrelevant event.  Refresh in X2 is ctl+r, and in windows its F5 - five will get you ten that that's what it is

I tried DOPUS, thought it was awful, too cutesy clever and grossly over engineered and goddam expensive - even more so today with the Au$$ie being overvalued by at least 25%.

What about Bulk Rename Utility (BRU) - there's not much you can't do with it - including case change, character/string replace, regular expressions etc etc.  IMO its the best of renamers - integrates into the shell via the context menu.  Also works for me via X2 and its free.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
Disc Golfer

Re: the febooti program

Post by Disc Golfer »

Image - Aaah, did you do a Refresh, Windows is inherently case insensitive - so it does not differentiate between AAA.TXT and aaa.txt - so in Windows a case change is an irrelevant event.  Refresh in X2 is ctl+r, and in windows its F5 - five will get you ten that that's what it is
Yeap; in X2 refresh was needed.

What about Bulk Rename Utility (BRU) - there's not much you can't do with it - including case change, character/string replace, regular expressions etc etc.  IMO its the best of renamers - integrates into the shell via the context menu.  Also works for me via X2 and its free.
looks very powerful, not simple but very powerful, I might use it when I need to do some complex sorting.

Ken
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

@discgolfer

The renaming tools discussion is a recurring one and almost everything has been said at some place, so this is just a repetition.

There are so many utilities for renaming, most of them good, you can choose your pick. I'd recommend searching for some old discussions.

My recommendation though is (again) awxrename

http://www.arniworld.de/downloads.htm

which is a renamer shell extension easily integrating with x2 and especially has the options for case changing, changing _ and spaces.

I've been using it alongside with x2 for years
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

It should be noted that awxrename hasn't been (apparently) updated in 6 years, and is x86 only (which is an important shell limitation these days), so bear that in mind...
Disc Golfer

Post by Disc Golfer »

BRX wrote:@discgolfer

The renaming tools discussion is a recurring one and almost everything has been said at some place, so this is just a repetition.

There are so many utilities for renaming, most of them good, you can choose your pick. I'd recommend searching for some old discussions.

My recommendation though is (again) awxrename

http://www.arniworld.de/downloads.htm

which is a renamer shell extension easily integrating with x2 and especially has the options for case changing, changing _ and spaces.

I've been using it alongside with x2 for years
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for! It even does dots to spaces [too bad it changes the last dot before the extension :) ]
Disc Golfer

Post by Disc Golfer »

Kilmatead wrote:It should be noted that awxrename hasn't been (apparently) updated in 6 years, and is x86 only (which is an important shell limitation these days), so bear that in mind...
They do have a 64 bit version which seems to work fine on my Windows 7 64 bit machine.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Disc Golfer wrote:They do have a 64 bit version
Ah, sorry, they do indeed - well spotted.  Bloody icons are too small for my old eyes. :wink: