beta version 2309

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

beta version 2309

Post by nikos »

a more generic beta release including separate 32/64 bit versions (ultimate only)
32 bit click: www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup_ult_BETA.exe
64 bit click: www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup64_ult_BETA.exe
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: beta version 2309

Post by Kilmatead »

Your "compromise" for adding the filename to the copy dialog when clicking into the edit field is acceptable - though I still think the generic message itself is misleading, as the user has to do a double-take to realise it's actually an edit field. But you don't care about stuff like that, so I didn't mention it.

Another thing you don't care about, and that I'm not mentioning, is that when a short filename is displayed (at the top) the spacing looks equidistant as it's supposed to - however, if a longer name is displayed (and truncated), the bulk of the details are actually shunted down an extra line, making the spacing look distinctly naff and unprofessional.

But I'm not mentioning those things because you don't have an eye for detail and thus don't care how your programme is perceived. :wink:

(Did Pavlov and his dogs ever try reverse-psychology? One wonders...)

And, just out of interest, what's the rationale for not allowing this rename option on Robust Move dialogs? What's so special about Copy?

Edit: Argh! Sorry, scratch that last question. I ABSOLUTELY DETEST THAT ROBUST MOVE ONLY KICKS IN FOR SEPARATE DRIVES AND THUS BEHAVES DIFFERENTLY FROM ROBUST COPY ON SAME DRIVES. THIS DRIVES ME BONKERS!

BONKERS, I SAY!

Which, come to think of it, since now the ability to rename duplicates is intrinsic to the commands and part of the dialog, this might be a good time to allow Robust Move to apply to same drive objects as well. Since I love it when your own words come back to haunt you...
nikos wrote:I always imagined xplorer2 as a tool where there is a small set of consistent fundamental actions...
fuxs
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fuxs »

Kilmatead wrote: I ABSOLUTELY DETEST THAT ROBUST MOVE ONLY KICKS IN FOR SEPARATE DRIVES AND THUS BEHAVES DIFFERENTLY FROM ROBUST COPY ON SAME DRIVES. THIS DRIVES ME BONKERS!

BONKERS, I SAY!
Bonkers, I say... YMMD! And that with a consistent statement. :biggrin:
fuxs
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

contain yourself!

actually robust move on the same partition is in my "todo" list, and it is quite easy for me to change it, BUT doing the move one file at a time like the robust copy does it will take AGES compared to the same-partition effective explorer move. I don't think you want to inflict that on yourself except for cases where you have special move needs, e.g. through filters
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...it is quite easy for me to change it, BUT doing the move one file at a time like the robust copy does it will take AGES compared to the same-partition effective explorer move.
True, but a real developer would create a "pre-queue dialog" which would allow me to view and change any and all conflicts at once, before anything was processed, so when the actual queue is flushed, I could take all the time in the world to go off to the loo and emulate its efficacy upon mine own defficacy :D safe in the knowledge that x2 was chugging away doing as I desired.

Still, as it is, my "workflow" mechanic is just to always have the two buttons on the toolbar (<Ctrl+F5> and <Ctrl+F6>) and so all relocation actions are committed as such - it's one of the main reasons I keep getting "caught out" by the separate-drive thing - 90% of the time I don't actually conceive of my filesystem as being composed of different partitions, to me it's just one big scrap container (figuratively and literally).

So, since I reckon the concept of a pre-queue implementation would be too much like real work for you, at least having the commands consistent would prove a boon, until you can come up with a "lesser-of-two-evils" approach to screw-up. That said, it could be a hub for all sorts of malicious fun, such as this request you rather ignored (my god, another one! They're everywhere! All coming out the woodwork at once! Whatever are we to do?).

For those who think I'm being disrespectful in my tone, keep in mind that I'm only 50% sarcastic, and Nikos is a big enough boy to not take things I say seriously. Except the bonkers thing. That needs to be taken seriously. I mean it. BLOODY BONKERS!

:D
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

I wish I could set up a multi gig multiple file copy/move operation before going to bed knowing that it'll do as it says on the tin, and in the morning view the log for what hasn't been done.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Why is this beta not letting use an ini file for settings?
The dropdown stays shaded.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

most likely it thinks you are a pirate!? have you changed it in any way?

for the robust move thingy, I'll see what I can do for the next beta
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:most likely it thinks you are a pirate!? have you changed it in any way?
No, I see this too - even nuking the registry and/or placing the LIC in the folder makes no difference. The x86 beta works fine, so the x64 is banjaxed for some reason. The combobox itself is disabled.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I just installed it... the 64 bit version... I did use a different folder than the default... I also removed the zabcat reg key to see if that made a different but it did not help... I have not put the lic file in the install folder for any of the betas I've installed this go around...

I still think it would be nicer to populate a new name rather than just the current one in the name collision dialog...
Last edited by FrizzleFry on 2013 Aug 28, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

how about them apples? the x64 version thinks it is professional!?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

It does show professional in the about dialog but it has the ultimate orange icon.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Huh, that's quaint - why does the Professional version know that I'm using an ultimate key to unlock it? (Which it then rejects, while a Pro key works fine.) I mean, why would you think to add a detail like that (as inconsequential as ketchup on pancakes) when you seem to miss so many others?

You're weird, dude. :wink:

(Not to mention, you'd think an ultimate key would work just fine for anything equal-to or below it - like one o' them posh elevator passes that goes to the 13th floor. :shrug:)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's allright, I just did a mistake copying files. It is the professional version with an ultimate icon. ANd it shouldn't work with the ultimate key, wait a day or two and you will see! Installer bug this because visual studio x64 destroys hard links !
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...because visual studio x64 destroys hard links!
Umm... having just installed the (foot-crushing, cow-tipping, hard-drive consuming, DD-bra bursting) bloat that is VS2008 proper, care to elucidate on how it destroys hard-links? Is there a monster somewhere under my bed waiting to bite me (just like in real life)?