Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

alpha version 250.15

Post by nikos »

here's (hopefully) the last alpha version
www.zabkat.com/test/kenny.7z

following your ribbon feedback, I improved (a little) the keyboard shortcuts, no crashing for 64 bit (thank the maker for windbg), and some new menu items

if you cannot find some command you use often (and you cannot find it where it would be more naturally) let me know
ribbon naysayers attention please: the xplorer2 menu system was an unorganized cluttered huge mess. You cant deny we have an improvement now!
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: alpha version 250.15

Post by otlaolap »

Please clarify for me the future of keyboard commands and shortcuts. I have been assuming that they will not change -- that the keyboard shortcuts we are all used to will remain and that we may continue to use the message codes (3XXXX typically) that correspond to them. Now, in the above, I see "I have improved (a little) the keyboard shortcuts", and I wonder what this means and what it implications are. Does the ribbon impose its own set of keyboard shortcuts? If the ribbon imposes its own set of keyboard shortcuts, will the original set remain if I turn the ribbon off? If I am running without the ribbon but with the menu, what shortcuts are effective? If I am running without the ribbon and without the menu, which sortcuts will prevail? Can you please clarify what will be happening in this regard? (I do acknowledge that my concern here may be overblown but I just do not understand the implications of the changing of shortcuts and would like some information about it.)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I would like to have save settings now and export settings available on the ribbon... maybe in the file menu...

I still find it annoying that the mass rename dialog cannot be resized vertically even though resize arrows show.

There should be a drop down for the what to match field in mass rename to preserve previous "patterns"
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

otlaolap you don't have to worry about generic keyboard shortcuts. The ribbon has some quirky shortcuts you see when you press ALT key
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

nikos wrote:otlaolap you don't have to worry about generic keyboard shortcuts. The ribbon has some quirky shortcuts you see when you press ALT key
OK - thanks. I just turned off all of my background support routines and tried X2, and now -- good golly -- I see all those rectangles with strange letters in them. S3 means sort? Alt, V, S, 3? I have to believe this is mainly the doing of the standard ribbon mechanisms supplied by Microsoft. But it looks like the existing Alt+n, for example, works nonetheless, and I infer that all the existing things will continue to work too.

If it were me, and I were doing this ribbon thing, I would not be satisfied until whatever is shown in those little rectangles was only a single letter (not number) (and definiteloy not letter-number). But it isn't, and I'm not, and I don't envy you. Good luck and thanks for the great explorer.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

nikos wrote:otlaolap you don't have to worry about generic keyboard shortcuts. The ribbon has some quirky shortcuts you see when you press ALT key
Holy moly. Opening/Closing a dual pane is Alt o p4 d d !
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

or use the default keyboard shortcut CTRL+O :!:
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

nikos wrote:or use the default keyboard shortcut CTRL+O :!:
Ummm... Yea, I totally knew that!
Actually I already put it on my Quick Access toolbar anyway :D

To tell the truth, I think that the items in the Panes list deserve their own group on the ribbon... Same with the Views list items...

Questions:
How come Panes have the little triangle under it; but Views doesn't?
Also, just curious, how come the "Dual" button doesn't use its icon as a 2-state toggle-button? Is it because you were putting it with the "Tile Horizontally" item?
gufus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gufus »

I keep getting this error log when exiting x2

X2tracelog2.5.0.15 ULT [Unicode] DBG x64.txt
3.1.0.1 ULT [Unicode] x64 11/12/15
gufus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gufus »

ribbon > view > filter

additional rules icons are broken
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

gufus a small minority of ribbon commands don't have icons

kunkel321 the ribbon is there to puzzle our minds with trifles, but in general it works well :)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Yay, a new toy!
Will try it this evening. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
gufus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gufus »

nikos wrote:gufus a small minority of ribbon commands don't have icons

kunkel321 the ribbon is there to puzzle our minds with trifles, but in general it works well :)
The function doesn't work also
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i am not sure about which command you are talking about, there are a few without icons in VIEW tab but all of them work
gufus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gufus »

nikos wrote:i am not sure about which command you are talking about, there are a few without icons in VIEW tab but all of them work
ribbon > view > filter
http://www.gypsy-designs.com/08.jpg