Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

xplorer2 5.208 BETA

Post by nikos »

probably the last beta, updated documentation and tips
also a new advanced option that increases the line spacing in detailed view mode
download BETA: https://www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_se ... t_beta.exe
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: xplorer2 5.208 BETA

Post by otlaolap »

The find-as-you-type search is not working for me. When I type some letters, e.g. "map", and press the binocular icon, I get a popup list as expected. If I then add an "s" on the end of the string, yielding "maps", the popup does not update to show only files with "maps" in the name. If I backspace from "map" to "ma", the list does not update either. It never starts updating when I first start typing, which, if I have the switch set to search, I would expect.

Beyond that, the appearance of the popup is not pleasing. (1) The big white "not found what you want" is very ugly against the dark grey background of an inactive window pane. (2) I get shown a column and a half of results, so the right-hand names are all truncate, and the columnns are short. Would be better, per my taste, to have a single long column: easier to read, understand, click.

There are much nicer FAYT popups out there and they have established a level of expectation that the beta popup does not reach.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

live search begins automatically when you type the 4th letter. It doesn't update if you fall below 4 letters (unless you manually click the search button). There are other "complications" possible, e.g. do you have any of slow options in the search menu ticked? Then search as you type won't work -- it's just for quick names. Also if you have increased the limit of "autojump" to the filter box, it also applies to live search

the columns depend on the size (length) of your filenames

in general, I am open to suggestions, that's why we beta test, if you are missing features from your other FAYT (?) popups please let me know and I'll consider them
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

OK, this morning I tried again, after deleting the Zabkat registry entries and thereby simulating a fresh install. The search worked much better. Entrries appeared as you added letters, but they would not disappear -- if your entry became too specific, and you backspaced out, nothing changed. I know you have a five-second timeout if you kill the list accidentally, and this seems to be active on backspacing as well. In general this is likely a handy feature, but you should be able to get rid of "not found what you want", you should be able to backspace, and a one-column output would be far superior to a one-and-a-half truncated-file-name arrangement. My X2 window is maybe 1000 pixels high, and truncating your list after about 200 pixels, and then flying half a list outside the window boundary border does not make sense to me.

But the function is nice. [Going out of town for a week so I will not be here to respond; sorry. Thanks for the great program, the updates, and the 3000 et al codes.]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I cannot reproduce the backspace problem you mention, can you give me a step by step example?
if you backspace and assuming you are still over 3 characters long, then a fresh search should start immediately
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

One thing - I noticed that when I installed the Beta, it did pick a separate folder - but used the same Start Menu location as my regular Xplorer² install (which I missed when installing), so when I uninstalled it Windows had no recollection of an existing Xplorer² (non-beta) install. Luckily, the stable install also needed to be updated and installing it recreated those Start Menu entries.

Any chance you could change the default Start Menu 'folder' / setting as well, so the Beta can easily be installed without altering the standard install?

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I usually install the beta without ticking "replace windows explorer"
I could disable the installer option altogether
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I don't use replace Windows Explorer either.

But the path given for the start menu entries (not the program path on disk, but the shortcut paths that get used by the Windows Start Menu) between both Xplorer² and Xplorer² Beta is the same, so the icons in the start menu get removed when uninstalling the Beta.

As noted, this time I luckily had a new version of the stable build to install, so it recreated the icons in the (pertinent) Start Menu folder to be able to run Xplorer².

A non-installing version would be perfectly fine with me, I'm assuming similar to a portable install, or if you could somehow change the installer for Betas to use a separate Start Menu folder (with Beta in the name, just like the file path), that would work too, I think.

See these pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pyy1ChQuVHicNFs99

https://photos.app.goo.gl/erJWSzBxXvJVginB9

At least for me the second image is the same regardless of stable or beta.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I suppose installing the "normal" after the beta is always restoring whatever glitches there may be :)
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I suppose. Not the answer I wanted, but oh well.