VLC Media Player gave me thumbs for FLV files - yippee

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

VLC Media Player gave me thumbs for FLV files - yippee

Post by pschroeter »

Can someone explain the pleasant surprise I found in xplorer² after installing the VLC Media Player yesterday? I suddenly have thumbnails for all except a very few, of my FLV files! It didn’t give me the ability to play them in Preview pane, but I really don’t care because I am really happy just to have the thumbs show in the Preview pane and file list. For some time I have been trying to figure out how to do this and was not able to quite figure things out.

Now I have to figure out why MPEG-4 and QuickTime Movies will play in the Preview Pane, but not generate thumbs.

UPDATE: Two weeks later I installed a VLC update and now my FLV thumbs have disappeared again. I have wanted them for years and I got to have them for two whole weeks.
Last edited by pschroeter on 2010 Jun 26, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the usual problem is too low a file size limit; increase it from Tools > Options > General (thumbnail bytesize limit - 0 for unlimited)

as for playing FLV in xplorer2 see here:
www.zabkat.com/blog/14Dec08-preview-FLV-with-WMP.htm
matt2971

Post by matt2971 »

Some players (VLC in particular, but also Media Player Classic Home Cinema and others) have built-in codecs, so they will play files that aren't supported natively without you having to install the codecs.

That's great, but when another application wants to access the file, it can't use that inbuilt codec.

The solution is either to install individual codecs as well, install a codec pack (I don't recommend that), or - best IMO - install ffdshow, which is an open-source utility that supports decoding most formats.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

With the QT movies, I don't think even ffdshow will play them, but you could try this:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Qui ... native.htm
pahuley

Post by pahuley »

Where can I get a free standalone .flv player that will allow playlists? I have a many DVD's and have created a video library on my computer. I have movie trailers for each DVD, which are in .flv format. I have them in this format because .flv files are compressed and do not take up alot of space.

Adobe Media Player

Post by KrippledHick »

I'm not sure if this will help; but I recently came across Adobes media player.   I believe it was free (but i do have legit copy of cs3 - so not sure if it was bundled).

However, it does work great for my flv's as well, including a good history, playlist, and thumbnails...
meRobs

Post by meRobs »

pahuley wrote:Where can I get a free standalone .flv player that will allow playlists? I have a many DVD's and have created a video library on my computer. I have movie trailers for each DVD, which are in .flv format. I have them in this format because .flv files are compressed and do not take up alot of space.
KMplayer and SMplayer are free. They play nearly all formats  and DVDs.