Can't open scrap container (xplorer2 0.0.0.59)?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rulle

Post by rulle »

Morning Star wrote:... I think there will be a number of people who will wander along, and be so impressed with x² (and it is impressive), that will happily buy it. For example: me. :D
That's true beyond doubt. But that is not really the point. A lot of software has "free for home users" licenses. That isn't because they want to be nice to home users, but because they consider 50,000 happy home users more valueable as a advocates for the product at work than as 50 potential buyers of the product.
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

but how would this "use by date" work for the scenarios i mentioned? as in repeated reinstallations on test machines/ re-imaging, etc...?

otherwise the "enterprise-wide license for all offices" is distinctly unlikely :(
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you'd just send me an email with your registration code and i'd give you a fresh key.

but let me repeat that nothing has been decided yet
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

eheheh every time it's gonna be reinstalled?! that ain't gonna happen....
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

kev wrote:eheheh every time it's gonna be reinstalled?! that ain't gonna happen....
Nikos, perhops you could make a special activation-less, but watermarked, build for customers upon request, similar to what M$ does for enterprise customers. That could solve this issue...
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

rulle wrote:... happy home users more valueable as a advocates for the product at work than as 50 potential buyers of the product.
I know where you are coming from with this, but I guess it comes down to Nikos deciding where he thinks his biggest potential market is: home users, or corporate licences...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

how does this watermarking work? Like throwing in some sort of cookie inside the executable that modifies the checksum?
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Kind of, but usually it would not be limited to a single entry (to easy to find, and remove). Instead you might use the order some files are compiled in (this will change the order of the machine code inside the executeable - hardest to remove), or perhaps some unique combination of bits in unused areas of local variable declarations (probably easiest to maintain), and so on...

Good overview here.

There might even be software that will do the hard work for you, but I could only find Java and C# ones with a quick google...
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Come to think of it, you'd probably be much better off watermarking other files in the distribution package, ie. the images from the help, as people are less likely to look there, and there are stacks of available image watermarking software
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks!
rulle

Post by rulle »

Just discovered the horrible win xp search "assistant" can be turned off in favor of a more straightforward search window. Just set: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState\Use Search Asst=no
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

rulle wrote:Just discovered the horrible win xp search "assistant" can be turned off in favor of a more straightforward search window. Just set: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState\Use Search Asst=no
Yes, this makes the visual box of pandora from M$ disappear, but that still doesn't improve the search disabilities of M$ Explorer search. For instance: when you try to search for text inside a file type which isn't on the list of registered apps in M$ search (so file filter set to '*.bla' and searching for text 'humbug' which you know exists in several of your thousands of *.bla files), you'll end up finding nothing at all (apparantly these files are skipped during the search)!!

So very shortly you'll be able to buy your way into mega-enhanced search capabilities by purchasing a Pro version of Nikos' unmatched powertool for file management !! :lol:

It is worth the wait and the money!! In fact, you're going to get it at a bargain price!!

(How's that for advertisement Nikos ;) )
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i couldn't deny you a commission if we made this sale ;)
rulle

Post by rulle »

JRz wrote: For instance: when you try to search for text inside a file type which isn't on the list of registered apps in M$ search (so file filter set to '*.bla' and searching for text 'humbug' which you know exists in several of your thousands of *.bla files), you'll end up finding nothing at all (apparantly these files are skipped during the search)!!
Man, that's pretty bad. I didn't know that, partly explains all those searches I've done where I know there is a match someplace but search returns nothing.
JRz wrote: It is worth the wait and the money!! In fact, you're going to get it at a bargain price!!
I was too lazy to sign up for beta testing so I guess I'll have to settle for regular bargain price. :wink:
Ander

Re: these arent flattering words

Post by Ander »

Requiem wrote:c) Scrapless x2 is no match for other FM

Even 2x can be a major competition for x2 in its current state not to mention other shell-integrated FM out there.
What? Some other FM's are as good as x2?

Well, if Nikos was serious about eliminating its search feature, I would agree with you. But he can't be serious. That's such a basic FM feature, even for a free version.

Anyway, I'm really curious: Which FM's are you referring to? I thought I'd seen most of them.