http://zabkat.com/deskrule/test.htm
(the links don't work at present)

your feedback on the design and information therein is appreciated
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: website design feedback

Post by sanferno »

IMHO it's a clear design, probably better suitable for tablet navigation (but this is getting common nowadays on most websites).

I don't especially like the header-logo section. You've designed a nice icon for DR, why don't you use it? Maybe you could try enlarging icon from the right in order to place "Desktop Rule" (in black) over the steel background. Hope it hepls :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that "digital display" logo was an idea I have, but it doesn't blend well with the rest of the page. But it must do until I have a better idea
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:But it must do until I have a better idea
Almost anything would be a better idea - it's too easy to imagine the binoculars starting to do the "space invader shuffle" which will appeal to <cough> geeks-of-a-certain-age <cough>, but no one else.

And, um, make up your mind what the name of this thing is - sometimes (start menu) it says Desktop (Search) Rules, Context menu says Deskrule, registry key has an underscore in it, etc. Even sanferno didn't get the name right, and he's a fan! :wink:

Also, a minor thing, but under compatibility instead of saying Vista+, you should list-out the proper OS titles, because that's what people recognise at a glance. If they just see "Vista" they don't see the "+", and that header already makes it look 8 (x 4) years old, so the first impression is "out of development", and they look no further.

And I don't see the term "hierarchical rules" used anywhere, which is your main claim to fame (for the hardcore kids) and makes you different from the other boys on the block (and lord knows some of us spent enough time trying to break them a year ago). It's hinted at in one of the pictures, but only in a rudimentary sense. :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Kilmatead wrote:which will appeal to <cough> geeks-of-a-certain-age <cough>, but no one else.
why,

Code: Select all

PRINT FLASH 1 "DeskRule"
was a great effect in zx spectrum! :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Yeah, but the Zeitgeist embraced LOAD''*'',8,1 as part of the cultural lexicon, so that god-awful keyboard of yours really sunk the boat, flashing or no flashing. :D
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Kilmatead wrote:Even sanferno didn't get the name right, and he's a fan! :wink:
We all are fans in some kind of way. Ones with more range (3715 posts), others only soldiers (62). :lol:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Easy for you to say, you're not chained up in the Prison-del-Nikos where you're fed a thin gruel, and the management decided that an hour-a-day of sunlight was a waste of productivity, so it's actually cheaper to grind up half a vitamin-D pill into the thin gruel and call it "garnish". (Damn that move to Eastern Europe - at least the dungeons in Greece were slightly warm, if filled with pesky Minotaurs. Those guys get so grumpy when you don't let them win at blood-poker.)

And if I don't generate at least 3 posts of "semi-valid content" a day, they give my bed of old rushes to the dogs, and I'm chained to the loo for the night.

Trust me, I know who's a fan and who's not. :wink:
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

I thought the logo was quite clever, in that its motif alludes to the "finding a needle..." strapline (as in needlepoint embroidery).

But now I've I read this thread I wonder if I was deluding myself :D

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21