Random not responding Desktop Search Rules

Discussion and support for Desktop Rules and i-DeClone

Moderator: nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Random not responding Desktop Search Rules

Post by nikos »

try this (after making sure your HELP > ABOUT says version .43). Do the things that usually block deskrule, then click X to close the program, then wait at least 10 seconds before opening a new window. Any better?
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

About displays version 1.0.0.43 as you mentioned, but the problem remains.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is very weird! Can I ask a couple more things?
1. send me the "hung minidump" file for this later version once the program cannot be started
2. after killing the leftover deskrule process, use regedit and locate this value:
HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\Desk_Rule\QuickView\binMiscOptions
set its value to 3 then try again, any luck?
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Hi,

That "3" thing in "binMiscOptions" it's doing its thing nice. It takes 2 or 3 seconds longer, but now DR shows up. :D
What was that? It's all my fault for having several PDF readers?

Anyway, thank you Nikos.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this "3" value disables background threading for the previewer. It makes the whole thing a bit clunky but at least it works for you
I still don't understand how things got so mixed up :shrug:
how many instances (processes) of deskrule appear in your task manager after all that?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

sanferno wrote:It's all my fault for having several PDF readers?
For what it's worth, surmising that this might be a common occurrence for many users who pollute their systems by downloading as many free trials as possible, I decided to test the installation/reinstallation of numerous PDF readers (complete with their iFilter handers), including the slightly less-well-known free standalone TET iFilter. I installed Sumatra as well (just because the OP mentioned it), but that's not likely to interfere with anything as it sports no shell extensions or iFilters or OCR features or anything that could harm a fly.

So, (installed in random orders, and re-installed over each other in other random orders so no one extension was always constant as the preview renderer or as the default viewer), we accrued Foxit (& their iFilters), PDF-XChange (iFilters/OCR, etc), Adobe Reader (+extras), Sumatra, and the aforementioned TET iFilter. I even installed Listary just in case it played a significant role.

After all that, I was still completely unable to reproduce the OP's complaint regarding build .42, DR continued to reopen promptly after each test (I terminated DR properly between tests/installations, as well as restarting x2, just so any extensions could attach themselves to the processes as necessary). Then I left DR running it its TSR-state for the proper attempt at recreating this problem. :shrug:

Nada, zilch, nil, and none. DR continued to reappear as expected. I did this on a live system, not a VM, so it's (in my opinion) a more reliable representation of a real-world milieu.

I don't think I can test it any more thoroughly than that.

(Now, Macrium to the rescue to clean all that rubbish out! :wink:)
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2015 Mar 31, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Now, each time I launch a new DR search, I get a new "deskrule.exe" process.
Right now I have 5. I have to close them all one by one.

I guess it's a temporary solution, but... thank you Nikos!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Kilmatead wrote:I don't think I can test it any more thoroughly than that
you are on 64 bits and sanferno on 32, perhaps that's the difference.
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Kilmatead wrote:I don't think I can test it any more thoroughly than that.
Thank you Kilmatead, I guess sometimes sh*t happens. My hope is that Nikos can get some conclusion for future releases.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:you are on 64 bits and sanferno on 32, perhaps that's the difference.
True, but after suffering through years and years of Vista x64/Early-Win7x64 drivers and extensions being poorly written, bugged, and sometimes downright useless while x64 was the unwelcome cousin at the wedding, it would be a refreshing change of pace to see the tables turned. :D

At least the cross-pollination of PDF installs (probably one of the most common of system-invasive extension-based programmes) may not prove as much of a problem as I might have suspected before. :shrug: