Syncing folders that have renamed files and subfolders

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Syncing folders that have renamed files and subfolders

Post by RightPaddock »

nikos wrote:... That's what I think these programs resolve rearrangements. They just blindly copy differences

am I mistaken?
I suspect you are - mistaken. GoodSynch does not create duplicates of any files on the several computers on which I run it - Windows, Linux, OS/X and Android. It will if asked, retain prior 'versions'. If it did create duplicates you can be rest assured I wouldn't have used it for - about as long as I've used X2!

Why don't you download the 30 day free trial and answer your own questions - that's what free trials are for.

Initially i was dubious about GS as it's from the same stable as Roboform, which is one of my least favourite bits of software, had to use it for a while (corporate standard), bloody nightmare. But I suspect GS and RF have a very different heritage.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the goodsync feature page does mention "File and Folder Move/Rename Detection" so perhaps it does it. Anyway I started thinking about adding something like this in xplorer2 for a future version
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Phffffffftt! You wouldn't even accept the concept of an <Undo> feature years ago (despite Win Explorer and every other major FM having one), but now you want to employ your own NSA? Flip-flops are for your feet...
drac
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by drac »

Actually, such flip-flops would make you right at home in the top echelons of American politicians.
richardk
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by richardk »

nikos wrote:I wonder if we are talking about the same thing here. Let's say that at the beginning, the hierarchies are synchronized with 3 sibling folders as such
A - A
B - B
C - C

then one day I decide to move the folder B on my computer UNDER A

A
> B
C

I expect the next syncrhonization to detect a "loss" of folder and a creation of a new folder, so after it applies its synchronization we end up like this

A - A
> B - B
B - B
C - C

so syncing "detects" reordering but it creates duplicates. That's what I think these programs resolve rearrangements. They just blindly copy differences

am I mistaken?
Just want to make sure - when you say "syncing detects reordering but it creates duplicates... they blindly copy differences" - that the BAD thing that we don't want - right? At least, it sounds like what I definitely do not want. I was little confused by your wording.
v 2.5.0.4
Win 8.1
Xplorer2 user since at least 2005
richardk
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by richardk »

Kilmatead wrote:While I'm the biggest fan (and endless proponent) of the Beyond Compare programme
Ugh I have a real problem with paying $50 for a program that does one thing and could stop working after one year or maybe two, due to so-called upgrades by either the program or Windows that break it, which technically is what "One year of free upgrades" means. 99% of my software is free open-source and xplorer2 has been an exception in that I bought it years ago and it still runs.
v 2.5.0.4
Win 8.1
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Yes, Beyond Compare is not cheap, and I too baulk at upgrade pricing - however, in fairness they are not "Madden 2001", "Madden 2002", ad infinitum releases - they only do major version changes when it actually matters (not annually), and do (at least) maintain "functional" upgrades for previous releases in the case of any serious faults.

Despite appearances, it actually does much more than "one thing", though I do know what you mean. Again though, when you reach the level of not just comparing two folders, but two whole drives, remote registries, or actual photo deltas - there's no contest. Ironically, it has more trouble with many of its users confusing it with being a dual-pane file-manager and complaining that it doesn't behave as they think it should, and the creators trying to explain the flipside of this discussion with them. :D
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

richardk wrote:Just want to make sure - when you say "syncing detects reordering but it creates duplicates... they blindly copy differences" - that the BAD thing that we don't want - right? At least, it sounds like what I definitely do not want. I was little confused by your wording.
@richardk - There are a number (oodles) of tools that synchronise files folders that don't create duplicates and handle renames and moves ==>> [WikiP] Comparison of file synchronization software

I already mentioned one I use, Siber Systems Goodsync. I also have first hand knowledge of these : Free File Sync (FFS), MS Sync Toy, and 2BrightSparks SyncBack - I don't use them myself, but I know people who do, and I've used them when called in to 'fix' something. AFAIK none of them suffer the behaviours to which nikos alludes.

I recommend FFS to non technical users, because once configured its more or less a OneClick operation. FFS will create duplicates (keep earlier versions) but only if the user specifically requests that it do so. It's available for Windows, OSX and Linux, it also has a real-time mode, a'la Apple's Time Machine. It comes with Open Candy crap - so be careful with it - a donate will give access to candy free downloads.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
richardk
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by richardk »

Thanks for Beyond Compare. I'm only at the junior level of comparing folders based on presence/absence of files but it's terrific like people were saying. Haven't yet advanced to comparisons based on date, version, contents etc. What's that you say? I had it for six and a half years before trying it? And in the meantime posted variations of the same question at least three times? Well I stand by my strategy to date which was:

1) look at my files
2) see that hundreds had been renamed and refiled and sprawling folder structures altered and reconfigured
3) throw up my hands
4) decide it'd be faster to just delete everything on the backup drives and save all the files starting from zero

Now though the mass-deletion strategy has gotten cumbersome and Beyond Compare is definitely a big help for a hybrid-brute-force approach where it shows the differences and then I deal with them as needed. I'm skeptical though that setting up the program to fully automatically detect incongruences and deal with them wouldn't take so much time and be so error prone (if the rules weren't 100% perfectly defined) that it's not worth it. But hey I would love to be proved wrong.
v 2.5.0.4
Win 8.1
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I've been using SyncBackPro for over a decade and it satisfies all backup purposes, mirroring included.