xplorer2 suggestion box

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: xplorer2 suggestion box

Post by nikos »

for all this you'd need to write a macro :)
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

nikos wrote: 2022 Feb 25, 12:37 for all this you'd need to write a macro :)
I'll give it a try. I've been studying.
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

Nothing would enhance my xplorer2 experience as much as a vertical tab switcher sidebar.

My Notepad++ editor provides a perfect model for this - like xplorer2, the window can be divided into two vertical panes, each with its own set of document tabs. The Doc Switcher sidebar tab lists all documents open in tabs, left or right pane. The pane is horizontally resizable so you can see as much of the document names as you want - at a glance I can see the names of all the open documents - not limited to what can be displayed in the tabs at the top of each pane. There is no need to scroll or mouse over horizontally to see the names of the documents. A single click on a document name in the Doc Switcher pane switches me to that document, in either the left or the right pane. Unfortunately I can't rearrange the tabs by dragging and dropping the filenames in the list, but that could easily be added I suppose. I can rename, save, and close a document through right-click operations on a listed document. Screenshot attached of all the right-click options available.

Doc Switcher Sidebar Pane

Right-click options when clicking on a document open in a pane

All of this would be a great enhancement to xplorer2 in my opinion.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there are several tab related commands in WINDOW menu, including ACTIVATE TAB submenu
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

nikos wrote: 2022 Jul 20, 06:39 there are several tab related commands in WINDOW menu, including ACTIVATE TAB submenu
Thank you, that is very helpful. The popout menu shows the entire tab text instead of what can be shown on the current width of the tab. Oddly enough I can't set a shortcut key for Activate Tab, only for a specific tab that's currently open! (I know, I can make a macro for that.)

I also discovered Window > Find Tab which is even more useful. And I can set a keyboard shortcut for that.

Still it would be very helpful just to be able to look at a persistent open vertical tab list pane and see all the open tabs (full path!) without having to mouse around. The pane could have up/down buttons to rearrange, a filter box to filter the list of panes, etc. I think it would be groundbreaking. I've looked for this feature in other file managers and have yet to find it.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I think a vertical tab list pane would be useful. There are times when I have opened many tabs and it gets annoying finding specific ones.

At first I thought a tab bar context menu would work for this but there is already a tab bar context menu for folder groups. A persistent pane similar to the tree pane but with some filtering ability would probably be the way to go.
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

Two suggestions for Windows > Find Tab:
1. make the dialog box resizable to be able to show longer paths.
2. include an indicator of which pane the found tabs are in. (e.g. left/right, top/bottom, 1/2).