xplorer² and network drives

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

eivind

xplorer² and network drives

Post by eivind »

Hi,

I'm experiensing that xplorer² is quite a bit slower at displaying a (mapped) network drive than for instance 2xExplorer - is this correct?

If yes:
- is it because xplorer² still is in alpha stage?
- is it possible to fix?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Eivind.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

either this or there's a bug!
are there many files in the said folder?
eivind

Post by eivind »

I have tried with a couple of folders. One of them has 4 folders (with subfolders and files), but no files. Another has three folders (with subfolders) and 3 files.

It takes about 15 - 20 sec. for xplorer² (newest build) to show the folders. 2xExplorer shows them instantly.
eivind

Post by eivind »

eivind wrote: It takes about 15 - 20 sec. for xplorer² (newest build) to show the folders. 2xExplorer shows them instantly.
Ahh, that's not all correct. xplorer² shows the contents of the folders immediately, but the drive letter doesn't change. This takes about 15 - 20 sec., and when the drive letter changes, it is possible to work with the folder.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

another user had similar problems but it turned out that it was all down to the column selected for sorting (is that right Fred?)

does the problem go away when you switch to list view and sort by filename?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Although sorting by a slow-to-retrieve-column-data made things especially bad, I still find x2 notably slower than 2X or m$ explorer in many cases, especially on WAN, & LAN directories. My silence on the matter is only because I have no new data to report. :(
eivind

Post by eivind »

nikos wrote: does the problem go away when you switch to list view and sort by filename?
not really... :(
I had "Pane style" set for "Details", and although I didn't count the seconds, it seemed equally slow with list view.
eivind

Post by eivind »

fgagnon wrote:Although sorting by a slow-to-retrieve-column-data made things especially bad, I still find x2 notably slower than 2X or m$ explorer in many cases, especially on WAN, & LAN directories. My silence on the matter is only because I have no new data to report. :(
Have you made a topic about this before? I tried to search the forum, but didn't find anything.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is a serious issue and we have to sort it out!
a few simple checks; do we get any improvement for:
* turning the tree on/off?
* going into subfolders? (e.g. it could be long accessing the root of the share but what about subfolders of it?)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

eivind wrote:Have you made a topic about this before? I tried to search the forum, but didn't find anything.

Discussion on this issue is hard to find because it has been more often a side-conversion within a differently-labelled topic -- and was in the combined 2x/x2 support forum before this separate x2 support forum was created.
For example, it was discussed in one of (at least) three concurrent conversations in
http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=11 ... highlight=
eivind

Post by eivind »

nikos wrote:this is a serious issue and we have to sort it out!
a few simple checks; do we get any improvement for:
* turning the tree on/off?
Turning the tree on (I normally have it off) didn't make any difference. Seems to be the same delay both with clicking the mapped network drive in the tree and "CTRL-SHIFT-Drive letter".
nikos wrote: * going into subfolders? (e.g. it could be long accessing the root of the share but what about subfolders of it?)
I'm not allowed to move into subfolders (I cannot even move the "cursor" down) before the drive letter changes, and as mentioned, that takes about 20 sec.
Bastage

Post by Bastage »

I've seen something similar. Probably unrelated, but does the computer that is having the problem use a proxy to get to the internet ..?
eivind

Post by eivind »

Bastage wrote:I've seen something similar. Probably unrelated, but does the computer that is having the problem use a proxy to get to the internet ..?
No... (Not that I know of anyway...) But if that was the case, shouldn't 2xExplorer and xplorer² be equally slow?

The problem seems to persist in xplorer² .52.
eivind

Post by eivind »

I have done some more testing - don't know if this will help you, but...

The problem with the delay occurs when connecting to my server both with my main machine and my laptop.

So I decided to try the connection the opposite direction. I shared a folder on my main machine, mapped it on my server, and connected. This, as far as I can see, is no problem. Listing of the folders contents takes about a second.

Then I thought about the firewall (they use different firewalls). So I uninstalled the firewall on the server, and the delay was gone.

The funny thing is that even though the server connected to the main machine immediately, my laptop still has the delay when connecting to the main machine (same folder). This makes me wonder; could it have something to do with OS?

Main machine: Windows XP Pro SP1a
Laptop: Windows XP Home SP1a
Server: Windows 2000 Pro SP4

I also have a problem understanding why 2xExplorer connects without problems. (Regardless of firewalls, different OS and which machine the connection comes from and which it goes to.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks for this research, this is an important issue and i appreciate your help fixing it

i have made some changes in 55 (TBA) that may affect such folders

PS i hope you haven't got GIOPT_DOSHAREABLE on? (see alpha.txt)