Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
https://www.zabkat.com/blog/transfer-fi ... etwork.htm
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: blog: wireless file transfer

Post by johngalt »

Crossover cable plugged directly into both laptops, provided both laptops have Ethernet ports. Another good way to do so, doesn't need to be anything fancy, a Cat 5e over a short distance will allow for Gigabit Ethernet connections (which most laptops from the last few years and modern one will have) and you can go a lot faster, similar to using dual cables from the router, one to each laptop.

The trick is to have the laptops see each other, which can be a PITA depending upon different factors.

This is a good way for when speed is not a factor, for sure, and you covered all of the bases that I can see pretty well. Good job!

dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

linking two pc's via LAN cable is a pain in the butt. I bought a NAS which I connected to my router, worls well for getting data to all devices, but it requires synching with primary repositry of data. There's also remote destop which works well and is reasonably easy to setup.

I can wirelessly link my tablet eBook application to my main pc eBook application (Calibre) to sync ebooks directly, its a nifty feature and very easy to use.
Tablet wireless application/eBook manager, Calibre Companion.
PC eBook manager Calibre.

if both apps are open, 4 clicks and they're talking to each other.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the adventure with crossover cables is in one older blog post linked in this article, where the PITA is assigning manually IP addresses
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Yup. We all know that painful experience of trying to get APIPA work on anything newer than XP (where I used it numerous times and never had a problem).

Using RDP with file sharing is a good alternative versus just sharing folders on both machines. Particularly when Windows 11 can be finicky seeing / allowing older, Win 10 clients to connect. of course, you need to enable it on one of the machines. VNC would be another option, though it does require you to install something.

With modern auto-sensing Ethernet ports, I wonder if you could achieve direct connections *without* using a crossover, though. I suspect it would still lead to issues with APIPA and getting the computers to see each other - and perhaps even more so with different versions of Windows installed, to boot.....

Ah well.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

many ways to skin a cat!