v5.2 New taskbar icon

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

7leagues

v5.2 New taskbar icon

Post by 7leagues »

Well I am sorry Nikos but I prefer the old X2 icon. The new red/cream icon may be preferred by others but I don't recognize it. Is there a way I can change it back to the old one please?
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: v5.2 New taskbar icon

Post by otlaolap »

From changes.txt:

"If you hate xplorer² ultimate orange icon, design your favorite one, call it X2ICON.ICO and drop it in the installation folder, then yours will be used instead! For the desktop shortcut icon (if any), edit the properties (right click) and change the icon there too (copy X2ICON.ICO file path from the installation folder). This will be also used if you PIN xplorer² on the taskbar."

I've kept that nice gold and black one from a few releases ago and have been moving it steadily forward. In earlier releases I had to use Resource Hacker to edit a DLL, but with this nice X2ICON addition I do not need to edit the DLL for this. For other things, yes, but not this.
7leagues

Post by 7leagues »

Thanks very much. I created a silver icon using your technique and the strangest thing happened. The Ultimate icon was indeed replaced, but with the old gold version. There are no other icons in the installation folder so I have no idea how that was possible. 🤔
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I haven't changed the icon for the latest version, you must have been using a really old one?
there is another way to change icons for any program (for the start menu, and perhaps the taskbar too?) explained here
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/sc ... alelements

for example you can download a crisp icon file and play with it:
www.zabkat.com/extras/LogoImages_StartMenu.zip
7leagues

Post by 7leagues »

The info on the MS site is too complicated for me to understand.
The version I was using prior to 5.2.0.0 was 5.1.0.3. Is that really old? It never had the Ultimate icons.

The archive with samples you provided contains only the Ultimate icons. The silver version I wanted to use is 256x256 px. Is that why it won't work, and if so, what size should I reduce it to for it to replace the taskbar icon, please?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry if that was too complicated, you can replace the icons in the ZIP I mentioned with your own choosing and keep the existing names.
the sizes you need are 150x150 and 70x70 pixels; resize your existing icon in the worst case
However I am not sure the taskbar will use them? Please let me know if it doesn't
7leagues

Post by 7leagues »

I made a 70x70px icon and renamed it "xplorer2_Startmenu_Small" but it hasn't changed anything.

Edit: Interestingly, my new icon does appear when I bring up the About dialog.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so these tweaks are only for START menu it seems
are you on windows 11? Its taskbar is a bit flakey
7leagues

Post by 7leagues »

No, I have retained Win 10.

Back in the days of Win XP there were freeware programs available which allowed you to hack resources and change icons. Do those still exist?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

look, there was no icon changes from v5.1 to 5.2, so whatever the change you experience is, isn't coming from xplorer2
the way to "hack" xplorer2 icon is to add a custom icon called X2ICON.ICO in the installation folder
if you want to do it the hard way, you can write a "translation" DLL with just an icon resource
viewtopic.php?t=8379
7leagues

Post by 7leagues »

It's no biggie, Nikos. I didn't want the Ultimate icon that appeared after installing v5.2 and even though my silver X2ICON.ICO has been dropped in the installation folder, at least the program now displays the original gold icon. I have been used to that since 1998 so it is good enough for my purpose which was simply to recognize the program in my task bar.

Please don't worry about this any more.