problem with moving settings to new computer

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

franklekens

problem with moving settings to new computer

Post by franklekens »

I installed xplorer2 on a new computer. Thinking to save myself some time I exported the reg file for the settings on my desktop as explained on the blog (https://www.zabkat.com/blog/13Apr08.htm) and imported that reg file on the new computer.
However, if I now start up xplorer2 on that new laptop, it hangs indefinitely and I have to force it to close. Obviously, it contains some settings that are incompatible with its running smoothly (or in fact, at all) on that other computer. Maybe drive letter assignations or whatever, I don't know.
(The desktop is Windows 10, the new laptop Windows 11, I don't know if that can make a difference as well.)

In any case, I don't know how to get out of this. How can I force xplorer to start by maybe ignoring something so it doesn't hang interminably?

MTIA.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: problem with moving settings to new computer

Post by nikos »

you can try holding down ESC key and see if it will wake up
alternatively try starting xplorer2 on "good" locations using a command line like this

Code: Select all

Xplorer2_64.exe /1 /T C:\
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

Thanks, starting with the escape key held seems to work.
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

Now there's another problem. The programme worked fine for a while, but I hadn't got around to filing in the registration code yet.
Now when I start it up I get the evaluation-or-fill-in-code dialogue window. But it hangs on that. I can't click "I want to enter the regsitration code", it won't respond, it just crashes.
In this case the abovementioned tips don't help.
How do I get out of this loop?
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

Forget that. A reboot of the computer solved this. Should have tried that first.