Assertion error on moving folder contents

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Assertion error on moving folder contents

Post by vserghi »

Nikos, when I try to move 14 mp3 files using Ctrl-A, Ctrl_X, move to new folder then Ctrl-V, I get the following error:

368: SPY(0000007f): Processing Disc Event = UPDATEITEM
My Computer\C:\WINNT\Profiles\vserghi\Personal\my music\Muse\Ruled By Secrecy.MP3 <NULL>
368: VIEW_f70232: processing update notification for Ruled By Secrecy.MP3
368: SPY(0000007f): Raw Event 10 = UPDATEDIR
My Computer\C:\WINNT\Profiles\vserghi\Personal\my music\Output My Computer\C:\WINNT\Profiles\vserghi\Personal\my music\Output
368: c:\documents and settings\umeca74\my documents\cpp\kenny\shellspy.h(405) :Assertion failed: _nRootSegments == n1stSegments-1
My Computer\C:\WINNT\Profiles\vserghi\Personal\my music\Muse\Sing For Absolution.MP3 <NULL>
368: VIEW_f70232: processing update notification for Sing For Absolution.MP3
368: MINI-ASSERT: why is there 2nd pidl info here?
My Computer\C:\WINNT\Profiles\vserghi\Personal\my music\Output My Computer\C:\WINNT\Profiles\vserghi\Personal\my music\Output
368: Frame_65e029e handling command 59395
368: *** TID=193, Cloned folder 'My Computer\C:\Winnt\Profiles\vserghi\Personal\my music\Muse' (type=1)
368: Enumerated 14 objects in the folder, code=1
368: SPY(00000080): Installed on 'My Computer\C:\Winnt\Profiles\vserghi\Personal\my music\Muse'
368: MINI-ASSERT: folder destroyed has 3 outstanding references
368: Delay-creating column handler...IShellDetails; Columns = 5 (cached)
368: ThreadID=193: Destroying frame 0x065e029e 'ATL:ExplorerFrame' [xplorer¦ - [ (C:)] # Muse @ C:\...]
368: <<< SantaThreadID=227 goes back to lapland
368: <<< ThreadID=193 singing off
368: max ever windows in spy list was 6
368: santa_227: Max ever queue length was 4

Nothing appears for a while in the new folder then 10 files appear togther with the error message. Clicking ignore allows me to carry on. I have to a refresh of the screen to get the remaing files to appear. Holding off the refresh stops the error from appearing.
Vas
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is rather confusing since the view seems to be getting change notifications from 2 different folders: Muse and Output. Where where you pasting from/to? Does this happen all the time?
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

This is what i have found with a little more digging.

If I cut and paste by any method (keyb, F6, drag and drop, r-click) it will work as long as the destination folder is not open at the same time. I'll elaborate a little.

x2 is in two panes mode and in detailed view (no tree), in each pane I have the folders open, using the data in the debug output, "output" and "Muse". I selec all the files I want, then any of the methods from above move the files to the oposite pane, I get the error message. If I try this again but be in the parent folder of the destination folder. then is works fine.

I have tried this again in 0.0.0.51 with the same results. It seems to occur with other file types and on Win98, viewing mode makes no difference either. There also seems to be a file selection limit. If I select 10 files or fewer then all is ok, 11 or more files and I get the error message.
Vas
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i have to congratulate you on your meticulesness!
a weird one indeed, i saw it on NT4

in fact it only happens if you move among panes that are on the same level in the hierarchy e.g. c:\temp\f1 and c:\temp\f2, and only if there are more than 10 items

10 items is the shell cache limit, after that it panics and sends a generic update notification

but in this freak occurence, the update notification, although correct for the first folder, it is incorrect for the 2nd one. Instead of the target folder name, the source path is passed, hence the folder never fully refreshes.

time for patches again, thanks m$!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

In fact it only happens if you move among panes that are on the same level in the hierarchy e.g. c:\temp\f1 and c:\temp\f2, and only if there are more than 10 items
Nikos do you remember I had reported a very similar problem some months ago? Then I reported it as "refresh" problem.

I think I used the context menu's "extract here" option (winzip), and only a few of the actual items were listed. It required another CTRL+R to fully list the items.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i think winzip is a different problem, but you can test this when .55 is out in a couple of days