Alpha-Beta or another "thank you + feedback" thread

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

MeToo

Disable recycle bin use in x2

Post by MeToo »

Would it be possible to disable recycle bin usage within x2 without disabling from explorer? Servant Salamander does this.
I consider that it is quite safe to disable this for power users (those that use alternate file managers like salamander, x2 and others) while leaving the safer setting for the casual user.

Please consider this option, Nikos.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can always delete directly pressing <shift+del>
but i'm sure one day you'll regret it!
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

but i'm sure one day you'll regret it!
One day a year is not worth it.. And there are "undelete" tools for such rare and thrilling cases ;)

mimeryme
- Option / reg-hack to set rooted folder (just like /R)

I don't quite get the meaning here. Isn't this already available? If you wanted to always start with the same two pane locations, you can disable 'Save Settings' under the Actions menu entry.
It's not about panes' location on start, it's about root folder (Ctrl+Backspace.. would be nice if switched to Shift+Backspace)
The layout can be accessed via the Window menu or even with a parameter in a shortcut. I believe all the pertinent info is in the alpha.txt
I've read it before, just didn't get it could be used to store layouts. But how do you select it "via Window menu", it doesn't work for me, it seems..?

Anyway, Layouts with shortcuts is major thing that hopefully won't be missed. (It's ok to have a button with shortcuts and DirKey for Bookmarks for example. But Layouts store whole working enviroment - one pane with big thumbnails and rich statusbar or two panes with special columns, etc)

There is similar new feature that would be welcomed:

- Set of quick Visual Filters (say Ctrl+2 to Ctrl+5, instead of bookmarks).

(Very often we need to not only switch current filter on/off, but quickly switch between some frequent ones: txt / programs / jpg / etc..
Sort by type could do it in some way, but v-filter is handier when you browse back and forth between large folders.)

Here is another one on filters:

- Mousewheel support in all drop-down dialogs (like Ctr+H , num+ , etc)

And another missing feature / bug:

- Shift+Rightclick has no "Run-as.." option for win2K.

Thanks and have fun,
AY aka chp
Last edited by chp on 2004 Feb 23, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you are right about RunAs, and it also doesn't work in 2x
I'll look into it
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

Sorry, I have studied it only briefly.
In XP both 2x and x2 work well (I've changed my posting to Win2K only).
And I believe I saw "Run as.." menu in a Scrap panel on Win2K once.
So, maybe it's related to owner/permission (or issues with FAT32) or something.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in 2000 it didn't work, but now it does
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

chp wrote:I've read it before, just didn't get it could be used to store layouts. But how do you select it "via Window menu", it doesn't work for me, it seems..?

Anyway, Layouts with shortcuts is major thing that hopefully won't be missed. (It's ok to have a button with shortcuts and DirKey for Bookmarks for example. But Layouts store whole working enviroment - one pane with big thumbnails and rich statusbar or two panes with special columns, etc)
Maybe this will help: you can save your settings in another registry key through the menu Window|Set registry key...

So tweak your pane views until you like what you have and save this layout to a registry key through the menu item. You'll have to specify a name for the key (for instance "MyFavorites1").
:!: Be sure to have the menu item Actions|Save settings checked or save your settings immediately by selecting menu item Actions|Save settings now. Otherwise the key isn't created!! (maybe that was your problem??

This will create a separate registry key named Xplorer2.MyFavorites1 (full regkey name is HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\Xplorer2.MyFavorites1). The Window menu now has a new item named 'MyFavorites1' (below 'Default'). When you click this menu item X2 will create a new window based on your saved preferences for the pane layouts (and all other settings you have changed by the way)

To create a shortcut which opens X2 using this newly saved registry settings, specify the following command line for your shortcut:

Code: Select all

"C:\Progam Files\Xplorer2\Xplorer2.exe /s:MyFavorites1"
(presuming your copy of X2 is in C:\Program Files\Xplorer2 of course)

This will start X2 using the settings you saved under the name MyFavorites1. You can have more than one of these favorite settings of course (I don't know what the limit is, I'm sure there is a limit somewhere - I never use more than one myself :) )

The syntax of the command line is explained in alpha.txt (line 651; info about version 0.0.0.21)

When you want to save a special layout for a specific folder, you can use the new feature of X2.0.0.0.57 which allows you to save the settings per folder from the menu Actions|Folder settings > Save

Hope this helps ;)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

"Hope that helps"?!
That would help a grandma that sees PC for the first time ever ;)

Well, you were right about "Save settings". I had not thought "Set registry" is connected / relies on it.
Now I've set 3 different, but frequently used layouts, and can quickly switch between them :)

Thank you JRz!
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

Not sure if it's a bug, but..

Shift+Letter - switching between files of a same type (starting letter) is possible only with 1sec delay. Hold shift (or turn on Caps lock) and try to quickly tap starting letter of a file type.

And another suggestion:

It could be useful if Scrap and Console windows would get their own window icons (same as x2, but with C/S letters for ex.)
So it would be easier to spot them at taskbar, Alt+Tab, etc.

Thanks,
and have fun.

AY
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

That would help a grandma that sees PC for the first time ever
yeh :)
our JRz is the x2-peoples-helper champion!
his involvement with the help files should keep all grannies fully enlightened for power file management!

onto the extension locator
this is incremental, so if you type quickly it builds the extension, e.g. t, tx, txt... if you press T and then you change your mind and want X, you need to wait a little bit

for icons i am waiting for someone with graphic skills to volunteer
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

chp wrote:"Hope that helps"?!
That would help a grandma that sees PC for the first time ever ;)
Well, I can't see if you're a grandma or not from here ;)

But I'm glad it did help!
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

2 nikos
onto the extension locator
this is incremental, so if you type quickly it builds the extension, e.g. t, tx, txt... if you press T and then you change your mind and want X, you need to wait a little bit
Now I see. But why "filename incremental" behavior / timings / code is not used? So "TTT" would just jump around .TXT files unless there are .TTF found or something.