Can't open scrap container (xplorer2 0.0.0.59)?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Valery_Kondakoff

Can't open scrap container (xplorer2 0.0.0.59)?

Post by Valery_Kondakoff »

Hi!

I have installed the latest available xplorer2 build (0.0.0.59) and noticed, that I cant open the 'scrap frame' because 'File - send to scrap', 'File - browse flat' and 'Windows - scrap container' menu items are grayed out. Keyboard hotkeys (Shift-Enter, Ctrl-s) are not working as well. I'm using WinXP Pro SP1.

Anyoune have an idea - what is wrong there?

Thank you.

CU
VK

PS - BTW, menu item 'Mark - Matching a rule' is grayed out as well... :(
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

yes well with .59 we get onto production mode
the first one to be released as beta will be the free version
that will have most functionality but not scrap frames
these will be reserved for my pocket money :)
i hope you'll find it a reasonable trade-off for both users and author
Ander

Post by Ander »

"The free version"? "Most functionality"?

Uh-oh. Looks like Nikos' days of programming for "recreation" and "personal edification" are finally coming to a close. :(
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

so how much are we gonna have 2 pay for the fully functional version?! and where can you download this .59 build? the homepage still has .57...
rulle

Post by rulle »

I was a put off a bit when that horrible native Win XP search popped up in .59. I suppose this is a consequence of the scrap container not being available in this build. Fortunately I had kept the .57 installation files.
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

Uhm, when did 59 come out?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

59 is the only version available for downloading (it's wrongly reported as 57, i'll sort out the website soon)

in general this whole shareware thing is not something that i want to discuss. Prices etc haven't been figured out yet but its going to be proper commercial software ranges

still, people that have helped with the alpha testing won't be forgotten! You can expect freebies or substantial discounts. Or just enjoy the free version!
MeToo

There goes another freeware...

Post by MeToo »

This had to happen!
At least Nikos is offering some discount to people who helped! The guys at Altap (makers of Servant Salamander) just said thank you :)

My suggestion: keep your .57 files in a safe place (I hope nikos didn't time bomb them...).

One question for nikos: how crippled will the freeware version be?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you don't use scrap frames or fancy customization, you'll hardly notice any difference!
rulle

Post by rulle »

How about a very limited scrap frame support for search function only :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that is going to cost you just a little ;)
dda

Search Facilities -- Scrap Frames

Post by dda »

I am fully addicted to scrap frames, use them all the time, and will be happy to pay whatever it costs to get full scrap frame support.....

BUT, I hope some form of the old 2XExplorer search facility is coming back as well?

DDA
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'm afraid not
either this is a business venture or it isn't!
windows find isn't too bad after all
(but Fred will have a different opinion for winXP :))
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

of course.
Native eXPletive search for current build is yuck! :yuck:

But, not to worry if you are willing to pay nikos a small fair price for the share-ware version when it is finally released. Unless there's been a change in couse, that version should contain full scrap frame support -- it's just not out yet. :)
Requiem

these arent flattering words

Post by Requiem »

I don't want to be hard (nor I have the right to) but these aren't flattering words...

a) Scraps won't sell

Think about it, half of your users don't know how to make good use of scrap frames, some of your users don't even undestand how they work! Scrap frames are the kind of thing that you have to LEARN to love the hard way! Blocked they aren't going sell any good.

b) Scraps aren't even finished testing

Since you said: "Soon these files will be automatically registered to open with x2." and "In the future there may be a command to automatically (attempt to) repair missing items from cida files." im sure they still need testing don't you think?

c) Scrapless x2 is no match for other FM

Even 2x can be a major competition for x2 in its current state not to mention other shell-integrated FM out there.

Besides, im sort of a firefox evangelist and it is unbelivably hard to convince others of using a powerfull eternaly free web browser... and ppl know what a browser is! Even medium to advanced users ignore about alternative FM. Those who care about alt FM either already own one or use freebies only (broke hackers come to mind).

Chances are that all your customers are going to be also apha testers, the same alpha testers that are willing to donate, the same alpha testers that you offered "freebies or substantial discounts...", who are BTW you most powerfull marketing force.

Also, crippling will kill some of the most beautiful things in x2 (will it still run from a floppy?)

Whats worse for you is that crippling will send your donation page to obivion and in a couple years you'll probably realize that your most popular product is an outdated unsupported alpha debug build of x2.

While I don't recomend you crippling it at all, if you wanna sell it that bad then block something else, something that isn't so unique to x2 as scraps but of course something that doesn't render x2 unusable, like the ftp features or that broken thumbnail view of yours (im not sure, does it still display a nothumb icon? as a freebie its allright but as comercial software thats a major flaw man, graphic savy users aren't kind to programmers y'know?)

I dunno, I feel like no one is going to agree with me...
Please don't think this is an elaborate "I'm cheap i don't want to pay" i tried to write something that could actually help you, my inner self was muttering something like "propietary code s_cks anyway" please don't listen to him.... :(