Can't open scrap container (xplorer2 0.0.0.59)?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Requiem

Post by Requiem »

[quote="tonib95"]Why worry if Nicos puts a price and limitations on the prog someone somewhere will crack it. Thats how it goes.[/quote]

And I promise that i'll never use a pirated copy of x2 before paying nikos for it.

Of course i'd never use a legal copy after paying nikos

Crackware is just sleeker admit it, anyone who owns a PC game know how they love to insult you, the paying custumer, with those crippled games, nocd-cracks seem haven compared, although they only hide the real problem...
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Requiem, please correct me if I misunderstood you, but it seemed as though you are saying that you will use a cracked version of x² after you have paid for it?

Why on earth would you do that? Effectively, you would be relying on the hope that some 3rd party (the crack writer) understands nikos's software better than he does, and will not accidentally introduce any fatal flaws whilst patching x²...

Perhaps you are confusing this with no-cd cracks - in which cd-checking software (eg. safedisc) is removed. This process is usually benefical to the game because that type of protection can and will introduce inefficiencies into the game code itself.

However, patching a program to remove, say, a nag screen or a time limit, has none of the potential benefits of no-cd cracks, but all of the potential hazards: it is remarkably easy to inadvertantly change something important, and screw up some or all of the programs operation...

So, why use a crack if you already own the software?
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

FWIW i'm contemplating using an activation scheme of my own where registration keys will be valid for just a day or 2

of course bona fide customers will be able to get other keys in the future if they want (say) to reformat their HD -- perhaps up to a limit of say 10 reinstalls

i am not saying that this won't be cracked either, it just seems like a more safe bet than regular registration keys
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Nikos,

In my experience, the only thing that cannot be cracked is when you compile out blocks of code (with #define or whatever).

So if you want a shareware version with no scrap frames, then do a seperate build that does not have a the scrap frame code in it anywhere, and release that publicly. You would then have a seperate (private) download for people who had paid.

If the code is not there to be re-activated, then there is nothing for the cracker to do... :wink:

It's a lot of work, but if you wanted to, you could even watermark the released full versions, so that if one turned up on the warez scene, you would know who leaked it.
Last edited by Morning Star on 2004 Apr 21, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

aye for real, the free version has already #ifdef'd off all the stuff that are disabled and will be distributed without registration

the problem i haven't solved yet is how to protect the separate shareware version!
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Do you really need a shareware version? My understanding was that the freeware and the unpaid-for shareware would be functionally identical...?

If that is the case, I suggest not having the shareware one at all. Distribute the freeware one, and when peaple pay for it, then give them access to download the full version.
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Unless you wanted to have the shareware one include scrap frames, but be time limited, so people would have a chance to try out the wonderousness that is scrap frames.

In which case, I still think you should not have a shareware version, but have scrap frames included in the freeware one, but perhaps minus the ability to save the contents...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this has all been discussed before
freemans: no scraps or customization
shareware: trial for 30 days
Requiem

Post by Requiem »

nikos wrote:FWIW i'm contemplating using an activation scheme of my own where registration keys will be valid for just a day or 2
Here I was unconfortable with the idea of typing a long key over and over every time I run x2 from a different partition, a diferent folder, or maybe a reshacked version.

This is out of any logic, i'm getting the heck out of here.

And nikos, whattever you got, you need a doctor...or an exorcist, I mean it.

[ED: you don't say!]

Good bye, good luck.
freeborn

Post by freeborn »

I think he meant that once your issued the key you have 2 days to register it before it becomes void. Not that you have to get a new key every 2 days, that would just be weird.
rulle

Post by rulle »

nikos wrote:FWIW i'm contemplating using an activation scheme of my own where registration keys will be valid for just a day or 2

of course bona fide customers will be able to get other keys in the future if they want (say) to reformat their HD -- perhaps up to a limit of say 10 reinstalls

i am not saying that this won't be cracked either, it just seems like a more safe bet than regular registration keys
I would advise against using elaborate activation schemes. I really don't think you can "force" users to pay up if they don't want to. They'll just go elsewhere or somebody will figure out a crack anyway. Plus such schemes always have the disadvantage of adding an extra layer of annoyance to the installation and reinstallation procedure. You might loose what you gain right there.
I think there should be just one version. Imo the Smartftp model is quite good, software has not been crippled, but there is a simple nag screen which is activated if you start the program during office hours. That targets those users who are most likely to actually pay (and maybe even buy site licenses). Regarding home users: forget about trying to get money from them. They are not used to pay for software, rather they are more valueable as potential professional users who bring their home "habits" with them to work. If you don't limit home usage the software will be used by many more people, creating more potential buyers among professionals.
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

nikos wrote:this has all been discussed before
freemans: no scraps or customization
shareware: trial for 30 days
Yeah, I remember now... I guess it just goes to show I wasn't convinced then either... :wink:
rulle wrote:Regarding home users: forget about trying to get money from them. They are not used to pay for software...
Perhaps, but I'm not convinced of that either... I think there will be a number of people who will wander along, and be so impressed with x² (and it is impressive), that will happily buy it. For example: me. :D
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

and another "for example": me, too!

PS - It is only after becomes a released product that I can pitch it successfully to my company for massive network licensing. And I think they will need it because when the major company-wide push to XP is done, they will discover they need a file manager that can do file searches effectively. :o
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

heheh me 3!

please don't use an elaborate activation scheme that will limit re-installs or complicate things for paying customers... i work for a software company and hope to be able to use x2 both at home and at work, which will involve test machines, re-imaging and vmware...

plus i too have already started pitching the alpha to some of my work colleagues, and being software geeks they r all very impressed so far, so there may be a corporate license to be had there too... but only if it is not over-elaborately protected with restrictive activation schemes...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

then you can get a enterprise-wide licence for all your offices :)

the idea about the time-expiring keys isn't meant to harass potential buyers. All i'm trying to do is avoid having a key leaked in a warez site and then man+dog being able to unlock the program, without even a crack! If keys have a "use by date" on the other hand, this won't be an issue

but this is all just thoughts, nothing has been finalized yet