x2 is very cool, but...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Ander

x2 is very cool, but...

Post by Ander »

I'd switch to x2 right away, were it not for two things:

- Thing 1 -

Instead of the usual Find results window, Find now produces something called the Scrap Container. The first time I tried double-clicking one of these Scrap Container results---to switch to its folder, I thought---I unhappily realized I'd just run the file (which happened to be an executable I hadn't yet virus-checked---I'm lucky).

So what is this Scrap Container, and how do you find a file now?

- Thing 2 -

This business of continually changing the background shades of the active/inactive panes... I don't know about the rest of you, but I find this way overkill and distracting. ("Okay, THIS is the ACTIVE pane, and THIS is the INACTIVE pane... Got it, dummy??")

What was wrong with the previous subtle, effective system of changing the title bars? Short of also installing a mirror ball and some disco lights, I don't see why such flamboyance is necessary. It's my humble opinion that utilitarian apps like x2---it's a file manager, remember?---best serve their users when they are as transparent as possible to their functions.

One more question: Nikos, if you were going to switch the characters like that, shouldn't you have just gone ahead and called it "x2lprore"? :)

Cheers, Ander
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

scraps can change the way you do file management forever
what you see in there are files just like as if you were browsing them in the "main" window, only they come from several folders at once

so just like in a "normal" window, a d-click in a scrap opens the file
ctrl+d-click (or enter) will push it in a "normal" window
but you don't really need to see it in a normal window, since within a scrap you can do pretty much everything, checkout the menus available

we obviously are in disagreement about the inactive background pane color; there will be a registry setting for the exact color used though
eivind

Re: x2 is very cool, but...

Post by eivind »

Ander wrote: Instead of the usual Find results window, Find now produces something called the Scrap Container.
I also found this confusing the first time. But, as I understand, the Scrap Container is very powerful, and I guess my problem (and maybe yours too?) is that I haven't learnt to use it yet.
Ander wrote: This business of continually changing the background shades of the active/inactive panes... I don't know about the rest of you, but I find this way overkill and distracting. ("Okay, THIS is the ACTIVE pane, and THIS is the INACTIVE pane... Got it, dummy??")
I like this feature (or what we should call it). Even though there are (probably) several other ways to indicate active/inactive panes, I think this way is intuitive. Throughout Windows, inactive menus, windows, panes and so forth are grey.
Ander

Post by Ander »

Thanks for exaplaning the Scrap Containers, Nikos. You have won me over. I just had to spend a bit more time with them. Collecting specific files and/or Find results without actually having to copy them---it's brilliant!

At first I found it annoying no longer being able to double-click a Find result to see its folder. But you're right: Double-clicking is the traditional action for opening a file, not browsing it. We'd just gotten used to using it that unorthodox way in 2x.

I find it no trouble now to highlight a Find result and press Ctrl+Enter. (Here on the Dvorak keyboard, Ctrl+D+click is easier said than done.)

Regarding the flashing panes: Is there a setting for no color? :) Well, I suppose I can avoid an epileptic seizure by remembering not to switch back and forth too quickly.

Cheers, Ander
Ander

Post by Ander »

Eivind> Even though there are (probably) several other ways to indicate active/inactive panes, I think this way is intuitive. Throughout Windows, inactive menus, windows, panes and so forth are grey.
Eh? I don't know what Windows version you're using, but when I open or Explore two (or more) file windows, their backgrounds stay white; the title bars change. (We are talking about file windows here, right?)
eivind

Post by eivind »

Ander wrote:Eh? I don't know what Windows version you're using, but when I open or Explore two (or more) file windows, their backgrounds stay white; the title bars change. (We are talking about file windows here, right?)
You're right - my mistake. Sorry.
But let me add buttons and text areas.
Ander wrote:(Here on the Dvorak keyboard, Ctrl+D+click is easier said than done.)
Actually he wrote "ctrl+d-click" (-, not + between 'd' and 'click'), which I think is CTRL+double click.[/b]