OutputDebugString in alpha

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Luther

OutputDebugString in alpha

Post by Luther »

Is there a reg key to turn off the OutputDebugString output?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no, that's the whole point!
the release version won't have any debug output
Luther

Post by Luther »

OK, but this approach is making it difficult to use & test xplorer on my machine. I use OutputDebugStream a lot in my own debugging, and the xplorer output is really messing that up.

So I'd like to request one of the two following suggestions:

1) provide a reg switch to completely turn off the xplorer ODS output (it isn't looked at anyway, and I could turn it back on if you needed some output).

2) prefix every one of your ODS output lines with something like "[xplorer]". This would allow me to filter the output for my own debugging (I use DbgView from www.sysinternals.com).

I appreciate your point of view, and I'm not trying to make your life harder - I'm just trying to use your alpha software in my own environment, which is mostly software development.

Thanks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you use dbmon, it shows the PID (number) at the beginning of each line so you can tell if something is coming from x2

i haven't used dbgview but i am sure it must have an option to print the process prompt for each line too, perhaps even filter out output from unwanted processes
Luther

Post by Luther »

Yes, DbgView does output the pid, but its filtering is done only on the text coming from ODS, not the pid.