cannot preview office documents (.doc in quick viewer)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

gerarddevos

cannot preview office documents (.doc in quick viewer)

Post by gerarddevos »

Hello,

I would like a preview of a word-document in de quick viewer. But it doesn t seem to work. I'have read in HELP/QUICK START/ that office documents can be shown.

I am using W2K with Service Pack 4 on a P266 Mhz machine.

Can someone tell me what i should do to make these documents show in the preview.

Gerard
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

please see faq#18 at
http://netez.com/2xExplorer/faq.html

i'll add this in x2's faq too
but note that you'll only get a thumbnail of the first page, which may not be too much after all!
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Nikos, I think you should include a warning that documents may grow very large when you enable 'save preview picture' in Word. That's the main reason I never use it.

Just checked on a fairly small document which has some graphics on first page. It grew from 200 kB to 1015 kB when I turned 'save preview picture' on.
When there's only text on the first page, the effect is not so dramatic and the size may even stay the same. A document with only text on first page (very little text I might add) in different fonts grew from 91kB to 108 kB when the option was turned on.

Might be significant if you want your documents to fit on floppy's (but then again, who uses those these days ;) )
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i didn't know that but i wonder why? perhaps they save a multi-page gif or something, otherwise there is no justification for such a size hike

anyway, in a forthcoming version (probably v2, long way down the road) xplorer2 will have a full activeX previewer and as such it will load word documents as you see them in word!
gerarddevos

Post by gerarddevos »

Thanks Nikos, the preview option in word works.

But what i really was looking for, is the option as you just described 'in a forthcoming version........ long way down the road'. I have seen this possibility in SpeedCommander. It's a fast way to view a document.

The remark JRz made is true. I just made a preview from a document which had a printscreens on the first page. The document has grown five times. So it is not really advisable.

Anyway Nikos, Xplorer2 is a good and fast product. I continue evaluating..........

Gerard