professional edition needs changes, vote here!

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

What do you think about the new "Advanced tab"?

Yes, I need this feature
43%
No, I don't need this feature
57%

Total votes: 7

devic

professional edition needs changes, vote here!

Post by devic »

ach I forgot to notice, that registry tweaks enough! Just to have the possibility for changes.
Last edited by devic on 2004 Aug 07, 13:22, edited 2 times in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

#1: if you use ctrl+F2 for renaming you won't see the warning
#5: there's a registry option to turn off the titlebar altogether:
just subtract 8 (DPF_SHOWHEADERS) to your binDualPaneFlags
Last edited by nikos on 2004 Aug 04, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

#1 I hope you rename an operating system extension and are unable to run Windows.
#2 Then go and use Windows Explorer.
#3 I can easily tell which is the active pane.
#4 Cannot see a good reason for this request.
#5 One of the quickest methods of moving around directories.
#6 Perhaps your own ability to accept change?
devic

Post by devic »

hi Niko,
if you use ctrl+F2 for renaming you won't see the warning
No, is fast the same, another window. What I mean is just as was in 2xExplorer...
#5: there's a registry option to turn off the titlebar altogether:
just subtract 8 (DPF_SHOWHEADERS) to your binDualPaneFlags
I tried it, but no success :(
devic

Post by devic »

hi Gandolf,
very friendly and funny answers ;)

ok I describe better, what I mean:
#1 I hope you rename an operating system extension and are unable to run Windows.
wake up, we speak about xplorer² PROFESSIONAL, NOT "house wife edition"! For example I rename the extension xx times every day and never was this stuipid question useful for me. In 2xExplorer it was disabled and was cool.
#2 Then go and use Windows Explorer.
kindergarten... FYI, I like xplorer² more then you, it's cool and can be perfect ;) Look here to get difference:

ACTION:I tried to move a file inside the same directory:
xplorer² sends me alert "Cannot move registry: The source and destination file names are the same."
Win Explorer: just ignores my bad action.
both not allow the bad action, but in my favorite file browser I need to click OK. Why? Here the action from Win Explorer is better!
#3 I can easily tell which is the active pane.
very nice, but:
1. With 2xExplorer if I navigated in three was most easily to discern which pane is active. Now I need to take a look for it.
2. I have a habit to have blue title, because I used 2xExplorer for years, and I want back as it was in 2xExplorer.
3. Think about people, that maybe have a problem with eyes or with colors.
#4 Cannot see a good reason for this request.
Reason is quickly to exit from the scrap container
It was in 2xExplorer so and was cool.
#5 One of the quickest methods of moving around directories.
Yes, as I saw for first time i thought that's cool, but from the daily work I noticed, that I need more posibillity to "UP" with clicking on "BLUE" tollbar without to take my attetion where on the bar I need to click.
#6 Perhaps your own ability to accept change?
I just wanted to show, that if some another new customizable feature will be inserted and I have possibility to enable/disable, then for me is no problem.

Result:
As you see I didn't say, that all must be "hard" coded, I spoke about customizability, that doesn't change your favorites settings. Everyone can enable/disable.

some time ago Nikos wrote:
2xExplorer is a beast of burden ploughing through all your day to day file management needs. You can do all the usual operations like copying, moving, deleting and renaming, with either the mouse or the keyboard, just like the standard Explorer. No need to reconfigure your mind and/or take special training courses there. However, the similarity stops here. 2xExplorer is capable of taking on large folder hierarchies and efficiently managing large amounts of files. It will allow you to get swiftly where you want and increase your productivity once you get there.

No need to reconfigure your mind and/or take special training courses there. :!:

It was so, now i must reconfigure my mind :!:

WHY :?: :?: :?:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Hello devic,

I must say your most recent post was more constructively stated than your first, which invited the pot-shots it received.

On your points, I agree that #1 thru #4 would all be nice to have, and have been lobbying for #3 for a while. But I do not feel strongly about the others.

re: #5 - I find the existing implementation to be so useful I cannot imagine wanting to disable it.
(& btw, nikos' registry tweak to subtract 8 (the DPF_SHOWHEADERS bit) from the binDualPaneFlags key DOES work to remove the pane headers, but then they would not be there at all for your d-click habit.
Also btw, you must exit all instances of x2 before making the registry edit, or it will get overwritten when x2 closes and not be applied.)
devic

Post by devic »

hello fgagnon,

thank you for reply,
as I tried it, I saw exactly what you wrote:
DOES work to remove the pane headers, but then they would not be there at all for your d-click habit.

to be short, I would to have the same blue bar as it was in 2xExplorer. I belive I am not alone ;)

xplorer² is cool, new features are wonderful ,only just little more customizing. With the nice motto: "No need to reconfigure your mind and/or take special training courses there."
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

devic wrote:ACTION:I tried to move a file inside the same directory:
xplorer² sends me alert "Cannot move registry: The source and destination file names are the same."
Win Explorer: just ignores my bad action.
both not allow the bad action, but in my favorite file browser I need to click OK. Why? Here the action from Win Explorer is better!
Nikos, I think this could be one for the wishlist. In M$ Explorer (Wn XP Pro) when using drag&drop, it won't even let you drop a file in the same folder it came from (by showing the 'not available' sign next to the mouse pointer. I'm not that happy about simply ignoring the action when you use copy&paste though. M$ Explorer does that, but I think I like to be reminded that it is not a valid action (like showing the icon on drag&drop).
devic wrote:Reason is quickly to exit from the scrap container
It was in 2xExplorer so and was cool.
Devic, 2xExplorer didn't have scrap containers, so that doesn't apply. I think you mean the scrap container that is a result from a search action. I believe the result window of a search in 2xExplorer was 'escapable'. But since scrap conatiners are much more than just a window showing results, you can't compare the two.

You can easily close a scrap container by pressing Alt+F4
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i guess i can see the usability value of #5
i'll add it as a registry tweak for 1003
it's my fault for creating 2x-aholics that can't recognize when change is for the better sometimes ;)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

two sides to "change"

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, some users just whining, but many more have valid points even though they present themselves as whiners, and a few can even state their case(s) constructively.
nikos wrote:it's my fault for creating 2x-aholics that can't recognize when change is for the better sometimes
I would like to point out that there are two sides to that coin, nikos.

While you have spent the last two years creating the more powerful x2, and done a good job at cramming its functions into a useable interface, you are so close to the process (and perhaps so tired from all the effort it has taken to get there) that you appear to be unable to appreciate the value in modifying the x2 UI & features in situations where your doctoral-level mind sees no need -- especially if a request suggests making it like 2x. :(

Please don't lose sight of the fact that 2xExplorer is a VERY good file manager, and you and the users evolved a VERY good UI for its use.

What I see as I listen to the calls for similarity with 2x are affirmations that its UI was well-done and that x2's user-friendliness (and useability) could be improved if you spend some more time refining its UI -- even if it means that you implement a 2x-like UI or function in selected cases.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

but you weren't using 2x! ;)
x2 wasn't developed around my needs
i don't use more than 50% of the program
and when it comes to UI, i don't use 95% of it!

i'll see if #3 can be easily added as a registry tweak
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ but you weren't using 2x! -
True, but I do use it from time to time, especially
when doing x2 updates & regi-tweaks
and to check out the goodness of 2x features claimed by habitual users
(even if they express their suggestions as whiney complaints)
So I have become quite familiar with it and have good appreciation for its utility. :)

@ x2 wasn't developed around my needs
i don't use more than 50% of the program
and when it comes to UI, i don't use 95% of it!
-
I have come to see that, and that is part of my point:
it is difficult for you to "see" the value in some of the suggestions when you have a different modus operandi, yourself
(and, btw, I congratulate you for seeing as much as you do).
When I speak of the UI, I am talking about the whole package, including window pane/frame design & content, colors, shortcuts, etc... (not just the menus & GUI buttons for control).

-Fred-
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

The only item I would make any sort of priority is #2. However this has been discussed at length elsewhere, and I believe Nikos has said it must needs be as it is.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

To clarify:
My prior two posts were meant to be general observations,
not an endorsement of any particular suggestion(s).

I had already put in my 2-cent endorsement in my first post in this thread (and in a few other threads where the subject has came up in the past).
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Disregard my post, I didn't notice the specific title-bar thread.

BRX