Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

version 1.6 out

Post by nikos »

www.zabkat.com/x2down.htm
quickstart guide is updated, full manual shortly!
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Great. Terrific. Many thanks. But, of course . . .

One thing puzzles me: "Folder groups now save any fixed tab names too" (from whatsnew.txt)--What does this mean? I ask because I thought it meant that tabs renamed by right-clicking and selecting "Rename" would now have persistant names. But that doesn't appear to be the case.

Thanks for your help, as always.

Brig
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i've just tried it and custom folder names  are saved; are you sure you're running 1.6? (check Help | About)
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Oh it's 1.6 alright. What did I do wrong? I've got two folder groups that constitute my basic setup. I call them "top" and "bottom" because that's how I orient my panes. There are three folders in the bottom group whose names I'd like to change. I renamed them, saved the group with the same name, "bottom," and said "yes" to overwrite. I then closed x2, started it up again, and the new names were gone.

The three folders are network folders--is that the problem?

NEVER MIND: I didn't "save settings" before exiting.:oops: I didn't think it would affected by "save settings," this being a folder group thing.
goodstuff

Post by goodstuff »

Thanks. The color-coding is very helpful!
Ander

Post by Ander »

Persistent custom folder names! That's great---thanks, Nikos. Very helpful.
tqn69

Icon Overlays for TortoiseSVN

Post by tqn69 »

Now with icon overlays for TortoiseSVN (and TortoiseCVS). Hurray! I registered just to espress my happiness with this new feature. Thank you!
SuperFletch

1.6 full manual?

Post by SuperFletch »

Is there an expected time when the 1.6 manual will be updated? Just curious, I was waiting to print a hardcopy.

Thanks!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Next week. The ready Manual got corrupted, and I had to build the manual from earlier version. Hence the delay.

Thanks for your patience.

You would know of course that there are alot of links in the manual (including in the headers and the lookup tables) that help you navigate easily? The printed version would not have that.

A "green" message: Please use both sides of paper for printing!

Thanks..
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

narayan: So, you're the guy (gal) who compiles the PDF manual for x2? Thank you so much! Awesome job!
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
darkhelmet

Post by darkhelmet »

I am looking thru this forum (about an hour now) and the products Web site and I still don't see any reference to this program installing as the default Explorer for Win XP. I have tried Directory Opus ver. 8 and it installs automatically as the default Explorer.

Again, forgive me if I have not 'searched' correctly, but all I have seen are manual Registry tweaks.

Have I not looked enough or is Xplorer not a true replacement for Windows Explorer without the user hand coding several Registry entries - is there not even an option within the product to set it as the default?
Dark Helmet
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the quick answer is "no"
replacing explorer completely isn't recommended and the procedure is described in registry.txt a file in the installation folder
darkhelmet

Post by darkhelmet »

nikos wrote:the quick answer is "no"
replacing explorer completely isn't recommended
Now that you mentioned it, why is it not recommended? I would have thought instead of adding more weight to the system why not just replace the thing that does not work.
Dark Helmet
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

explorer is a couple of hundred KB, and not running it won't save much. You could consider alternative shells eg litestep but i'm not sure how much that would save you...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

1601 is out, see the website
www.zabkat.com/x2down.htm