top of the blogs

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

top of the blogs

Post by nikos »

This thread was originally posted  in the xplorer² Professional forum.        
Moved here 19-May-2010 =fg=
====================================================

here's the comment area for the first blog entry about file versioning systems found at: www.zabkat.com/blog/19Jan07.htm
ScottWall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: top of the blogs

Post by ScottWall »

nikos wrote:The trick thing about it is that it allows you to compare the changes you made to individual files, with the last version committed using its own TortoiseMerge, which is good but sometimes I long for the trusty windiff which can also tell you about parts of code that were merely moved around
If WinDiff supports command line parameters to specify the files, you could configure TortoiseSVN to use WinDiff rather than TortoiseMerge. To do this, use the context menu Settings under Tortoise SVN.  The setting that you are interested in is "External Programs - Diff Viewer". I have it configured to use WinMerge and it integrates quite nicely.
flexigon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by flexigon »

WinDiff is OK for a freebee. But for serious comparisons you should really  check out Beyond Compare. There is nothing in this world that comes even close!
kf

Post by kf »

And, Beyond Compare is ~$40 (can't remember exactly)... not too pricey for something as good and as useful as it is!  I've used it for a year now just for file backup (to external harddrive) and I know I've only used a trifle of its real power.

Kevin
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so what does beyond compare have over windiff? (any example)
flexigon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by flexigon »

Well, let me put it this way:

Beyond Compare is to WinDiff what Xplorer2 is to Windows Explorer  :)

Check out the trial version and see for yourself...
http://www.scootersoftware.com/
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

I have used WinMerge for a long time now, and it is free, it works really well for me, and as a bonus, works well with SVN. BeyondCompare is a very good program also, but not free.
Vas
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Also check out kdiff3 (a 3-way comparator/merger). Like WinMerge, it also is from Sourceforge.
irkregent

Post by irkregent »

LifeHacker has an article on Using Subversion with TortoiseSVN:
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/top/ ... 192367.php

Here's an O-Reilly blog entry about setting up Subversion for single-user access:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002 ... rsion.html
While an older article, the basics should still apply.
ScottWall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ScottWall »

WinMerge also supports a location pane which shows the movement of code blocks. WinMerge can configure itself automatically to integrate with TortoiseSVN.

KDiff3 is also good especially for 3-way merges. However, it takes quite a bit longer to start up. Being impatient I prefer to configure WinMerge with Tortoise and manually start KDiff3 when I need a 3-way merge.
MacDisein

Post by MacDisein »

Araxis Merge is the world's best file comparer - but not really cheap.

You can download a trial version and take a look at the feature list and screenshots.

http://www.araxis.com/merge/index.html

MacDisein
rrpoulin

Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Post by rrpoulin »

Hi,
I read this thread and whole-heartedly agree with you. Subversion can be a bit big for one guy but it seems to do the job.

I cannot see the overlays in x2 with this OS. Is there something else I can do besides what the demo shows? It would be nice to use x2 as the main explorer.

Cheers!
Ron
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

TSVN has some options that make it work only in windows explorer, so make it work for all other programs too. Another reason may be you are on 64 bit windows?
rrpoulin

SVN overlays

Post by rrpoulin »

Yep, I'm running on 64-bit Vista. I will check TSVN to see what options there are. Thanks for the reply.

Ron
rrpoulin

SVN overlays

Post by rrpoulin »

Looks like I have the overlays in Explorer only option set to off meaning that they should show in Open and SaveAs menus according to the documentation. Note that it doesn't mention shell ICONS in the documentation. It must be my OS that isn't so accomodating.

Thanks again,
Ron