Swapping F5 Keys

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Swapping F5 Keys

Post by snakebyte »

I'm using the latest beta. With the current Keyboard customization dialog how can I swap the functionality of Ctrl+F5 and F5 Keys?

What I really want is
1) Assign F5 (copy with confirmation) functionality to Ctrl+F5
2) Assign refresh to F5
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It seems that you can't.  

Although you can reassign Refresh to F5,
the others have no unique IDcode.

There appears to be an issue in that the Ctrl+F5/F6 and Alt+F5/F6 transfer commands are fixed where Ctrl and Alt are modifiers to not only skip the robust dialog but to transfer selected to the last used target -- whether you remember what that was or not.  {too dangerous for me -- I never use either} :(
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the way x2 does keyboard modifiers for commands like F5 is dodgy. However I believe that you can reassign robust copy to <shift+F5> and it will work. Any other keys that involve either <ctrl> or <alt> will cause problems
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Well using Shift+F5 seems a usable workaround.

Although I wouldn't use it myself unless I also deleted the shortcuts for both Ctrl+F5 and Alt+f5 because I know I would forget which modifier was copy with confirmation and be wondering what (or whether anything) happened when I hit Ctrl or Alt instead of Shift with F5.   :shock:  ... but that's just me.  :shrug:
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

I encountered the following problem with F5:

Assign F5 e.g. to refresh and now open the edit-menu.
There you will find: "Copy to ...       Ctrl-F5".
This means, that the robust copy dialog (= the three dots) will be opened by hitting ctrl-F5, but this is not true. Ctrl-F5 copies without the dialog into the opposite pane (as usual).

Even if you assign shift-F5 for "Copy to", the edit-menu will tell you ctrl-f5 for the dialog, whereas shift-f5 does indeed do this.

Do correct this, you have to remove the ctrl-F5 hotkey in the customization also, this will bring shift-f5 to the top of the list of the associated hotkeys, than you can reassign ctrl-f5 for getting back the copy without dialog function.

The problem with this is, that at first the edit-menu gives the wrong information.

EDIT:
And more ...
After doing what I described above (which gives me shift-f5, alt-f5 and ctrl-f5 as associated hotkeys for "copy to") I assigned additionally some other hotkey for "copy to"; in this case I used ctrl-alt-i (but I believe, this does not matter). This time the new assignement got placed into the current keys list at the top and in the edit menu ctrl-alt-i was shown right to the "copy to ..." command. But again, this hotkey does not do, what I expected (namely to bring up the copy dialog), but it behaved exactly as the ctrl-f5 hotkey, so again wrongly.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you see, that's why i didn't like the idea of keyboard customization, loads of little niggles like that.
you leave me no option but to remove the feature and not release v1.7  :shock:
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

:wow: :crazy: :yuck: :crying:

EDIT:
People grow with challenge and hope dies at last.
Come on, Nikos, you bring the bacon home. :yum:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in the name of efficiency, x2 has many cludges. Basically, whenever you see a command that has 2 or more keyboard shortcuts like F5, you can smell trouble and you're best off not touching its definition. Thankfully most commands are "plain" in that respect, just stay away from F5/F6/F9 and some others
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

I'm OK with this xplorer2 limitation. I just wanted to know if it was possible.

Autohotkey is always there for such complex key mappings.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.