Print Tree?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

tecknomage

Print Tree?

Post by tecknomage »

Does xPlorer 2 have a "Print Tree" feature?

On other Filemanager I've used, and some plugins, you can direct print the folder tree.  One even give you the choice of including contents of folders (file list). The print is in text format (.TXT).
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Hi tecknomage.

Welcome to the board! :)

The short answer to your question is, sadly, no. :(  
Print features have been requested at times, but nikos has always resisted the idea of including them directly in xplorer2.
The workaround suggested is generally to copy what you want into another app that supports printed content -- and for text, the usual recommendation is Editor2: I keep a shortcut to Editor2 on my quicklaunch bar for just that purpose.  ;)

As far as getting tree data, x2 has a quick way to display a folder summary in tree form starting with the parent folder of the active filepane (use Alt+D). From there it is easy to copy that text display into Editor2 for reading and/or printing.

HTH
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

or when inside the tree, use Edit | Copy columns (or <ctrl+P>) to copy the text of the current branch in the clipboard. Then paste in a different program that supports printing
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I didn't mention that there are also ways to copy folder contents to the clipboard including their paths and other detail information. For more information, please see the User Manual topics: Copying items’ names into clipboard and Copying columns, in Chapter 6.

PS - re: nikos's suggestion (above) - I had forgotten that little feature, and it appears to be not mentioned in the UM (narayan, please note).
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I don't think we discussed this before. Noted! :)
rnmerchant

Re: Print Tree?

Post by rnmerchant »

I wonder if there is any update to this very old discussion?

That is, an easy/intuitive way to copy the folder tree structure to a list? That is, a list of the subfolder, with sub-sub etc folders, all in a list. Be nice if it was one of the items on the Tools menu item.

Thanks Richard
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Print Tree?

Post by nikos »

Hi Richard
pressing CTRL+P keys on a tree node, copies the text as you see it
if you want ALL the folders (even the hidden ones), use TOOLS > FOLDER STATISTICS menu command, then use COPY TEXT menu command