Thoughts on folder tree pane

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

bn007

Post by bn007 »

Dear Nikos,

I know you have answer some questions regarding the limitations of the folder tree pane. After I use your suggestions to get around these problems for a long time, I can't help but wishing they would go away. These are some of the things that continue bug me while I'm in folder tree pane:

1. Can't delete folder. I know this is a M$ restriction, but is there someway for 2x to unlock this folder and remove?

2. Doesn't refresh. I know the work around is collapse and re-expand. What's even more annoying is I lost the previous view of my tree. I wonder how Explorer gets the callback and refresh the folders or when I manually press F5 (which is one of the few keyboard short cut that I actually use in Explorer, but 2x maps to Copy)

3. Lots of non-file functions (and their associated keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl-D,E,U) don't work in folder tree. Is this your artificial restriction or is it something inherently due to M$.

4. The "Disk free space" is not updated in the status bar.

5. 2x hangs for a long time or even crash while trying to refresh the network drive.

Also, would you please let us know tentatively when and what to expect in the next 2x release? I don't want to repeat the suggestions that you already plan for the next release.

Thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

2xExplorer is an old insistent nail I'm afraid. Nothing can be done other than rewriting it from scratch. As you know I'm doing this right now (xplorer² project). All the tree issues you mention are already sorted out, see for yourself

now for release dates... I don't know. All I can say is that from now till christmas I'm all tied up and won't do much development. New versions won't be due for a long time -- perhaps year(s). That's the joy and pitfall of freeware/casual programming. If it gets ridiculously long, perhaps I'll release another interim 2x, risking a complete elimination of all my credibility to man+dog at large :)