another quiz: filter challenge

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

reminds me of fireside chat situations where everybody tries to open beer bottles with socks... but still a fork or can opener is the best bet! :)
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Mr.Pleasant wrote:
but when I tried it I could not get it to work
It might work, but not when you have all your files in the scrap container. In that case you should use

Code: Select all

copy "$F" "c:\extensions\extensions.$E" 
Notice the '$F' instead of '$N'.
The thing I don't like about it, is that it might need a lot of free disc space, in order to copy the files. I'd suggest  

Code: Select all

md "c:\extensions\$E"
to put in the command script, while you have all files selected.
Clicking on 'Execute (DOS)', You should get a folder full of empty folders, named after the extensions of selected files (one of each extension). Of these you could get a list using 'copy columns'.
Duh, I feel a bit stupid. I can think of some more tweaks with hardlinks, creating 0byte files etc for solving space or time problems.

But I didn't recall we actually had the solution for the problem already in our "count extensions" challenge

http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=38226

and my solution there (with creating dirs instead of files) can of course be used for determination of the extensions here as well (and better as my other suggestions.
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

we actually had the solution for the problem already in our "count extensions" challenge
That is also true of fireside chat situations: the more beer bottles gets opened, the more likely you start repeating things  :oops: