Searching doesn't look in PDF text's ?

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Markq

Searching doesn't look in PDF text's ?

Post by Markq »

Does xp2 look inside of files, in particular PDF files?

Using the search finder, I look through a directory of only 18 files. I search for a text word I know to be in the content portion of the PDF (yes it is OCR'ed I verified the text by copy/paste).

After a LONG time, the dialog fails to find the file.

I installed foxit-reader in case I needed its filters.

I do not have the abhorrent windows desktop search installed.

Also, there are hints that the Ultimate version has a file indexer? But I can't find anything on the site that describes in detail the differences between the Ultimate and Professional.

Thanks,
Mark
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Searching doesn't look in PDF text's ?

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 works best with PDF XChange viewer, but foxit should be ok too. If you have the professional version it should find your text, but make sure you follow these precautions:
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/where-is-that-document.htm

ps. I checked foxit after a long time. It looks like the PDF IFilter (indexer) is something they sell separately, so only PDF XChange will do the job for you!
Markq

Post by Markq »

nikos wrote:xplorer2 works best with PDF XChange viewer, but foxit should be ok too. If you have the professional version it should find your text, but make sure you follow these precautions:
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/where-is-that-document.htm

ps. I checked foxit after a long time. It looks like the PDF IFilter (indexer) is something they sell separately, so only PDF XChange will do the job for you!
Somewhere on your site (I thought) it was recommending the Foxit Ifilter. I had already have PDF Xchange. I expect that installing Foxit has stomped over PDF-Xchange, since now the thumbnails aren't updating.

I'm on XP, and don't use windows desktop search. It's unruly -- it won't turn on or off when I ask, it delays indexing changed files, it ignores my request to not index "My Documents", and it keeps trying to reset where the index is stored.

I was hoping that the Ultimate version might have its own indexer. I know this is possible. The free program Doc Fetcher indexes everything including text inside of PDF documents without the windows desktop search. If it had thumbnails, it would be perfect

Thanks,
Mark
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no ultimate version doesn't do its own indexing, but you can download windows desktop search for XP if you need fast searches.

I will remove the recommendation for foxit and replace it with PDF XChange