Upload odds (dialog overlap)

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

kdaube

Upload odds (dialog overlap)

Post by kdaube »

Dear all

Wehen uploading files to a website, I get two dialogs. Most time the second is over the fist one and I need to pull it away to cancel the first one:
x2-upload.PNG
Only under rare circumstances the Copying... dialog appears first and then the Confirm File Replace second. In this case it's easy to cancel number 2.

How can I avoid the "calculating the time..." dialog at all? I have a very fast line and the calculation may take longer than the upload...

Thank You
Klaus Daube
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upload odds (dialog overlap)

Post by nikos »

these ftp dialogs come from windows, not xplorer2, so there's little room for control
the best advice is to stop using FTP at all because it is not secure :!:
I recommend googling for a tool called winscp
kdaube

Re: Upload odds (dialog overlap)

Post by kdaube »

Thanks Nikos for Your answer,

SFTP would be available for me at my hoster (HostPoint.ch) only after an upgrading of the service. As a soft measure since some years standard FTP is allowed on my server only from western European contries. I could not update my web pages while making holidays in Poland for example.
Have to think about that further...

At http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/57171 ... ification/ a method to get rid of the Windows dialog was proposed
  • Control Panel - Programs and Features
  • Click on "Turn Windows Features On or Off" look on the left side of the panel.
  • Uncheck "Remote Differential Compression"
Have tested this - does not work on W7, maybe only after restarting Windows.

=> will have to live with it