Enhancement - more than two panes - UI Xplorer2

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

plugger

Enhancement - more than two panes - UI Xplorer2

Post by plugger »

It would be nice to have more than two panes.
Which has some implications for snazz:
- user-selectable number of panes
- named panes
- a list of pane names, e.g. in a pull-down menu, or via a right-mouse pop-up menu
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Enhancement - more than two panes - UI Xplorer2

Post by FrizzleFry »

why not simply open additional windows/layouts...
plugger

Post by plugger »

Opening additional windows uses up too much display space, and it's too much work keeping track of various layouts. It's easier to slide things around. Xplorer2's pane management is beautiful, except that it needs more panes.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

more than 2 visible panes are hard to fit within the window and make things more complicated (eg which pane will an F9 comparison link to?)
that's why xplorer2 sticks with two panes and for more folders you can use tabs (FILE menu)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote:more than 2 visible panes are hard to fit within the window
They'd fit but look like some Irishman had partied too hard.

Also, I'm not too positive about usability then. :shrug:
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
plugger

Post by plugger »

The panes need not be visible to be handy. I often slide one of the panes out of the way, and slide it back when I need it.

True, if the code is predicated on having one or two panes, it's a nuisance to generalize so that it knows about more than two.

One imagines another layer of tabs, for panes. Spiffy, but I don't know whether it has cash value.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

If visibility doesn't count, x2 has an almost unlimited number of panes you can't see now.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

plugger wrote:Opening additional windows uses up too much display space, and it's too much work keeping track of various layouts. It's easier to slide things around. Xplorer2's pane management is beautiful, except that it needs more panes.
Why?

You make a statement regarding the basic structure of the UI that has satisfied thousands but offer no reason the options available and suggested to you (multiple tabs per pane or multiple instances of x2) will not work other than "too much display space".

Get a bigger display or add another display.

Problem solved. Move along

-----------------------------------
PJ
plugger

Post by plugger »

Why?
Additional panes would increase the program's bandwidth for users who know how to exploit them.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

plugger wrote:Additional panes would increase the program's bandwidth for users who know how to exploit them.
Have you tried to "exploit" tabs? Multiple instances?

The only drawback you stated was "uses up too much display space". Have you tried increasing your "display space"?

I'm curious how you would exploit additional windows that cannot be done with today's UI?

What would "named panes" do for you? The UI isn't automatable, doesn't support VBA like EXCEL, so I'm probably too simple-minded to understand the benefit of the "snazz" factor. You can add all the tabs you will probably ever need. I just dragged / extended x2 from one end of my 3 monitor display group to the other (two 21" LCDs + laptop display), and opened 3 dozen tabs in the lower pane for the heck of it. Each tab was completely readable, and I had room for more.

Now THAT'S what I call "snazz"! (Wish I could post a picture). You could make x2 be your "desktop".

As you appear to be a new user, I'd suggest exploring the existing features like Folder Groups under the Customize menu and Layouts under the Window menu and the one feature I've avoided, the Mini-scrap. I sincerely believe you'll be pleasantly surprised with the capability once you try it out.

Also add a custom button to the toolbar to open the "More..." bookmarks ("MenuHack.exe" 32991") or get very familiar with Alt-B. The BOOKMARKS UI is atrocious, but carefully organized naming and sorting can make a list of 50 to 100 bookmarks more useful than the abbreviated list the Bookmarks menu offers.

----------------
PJ