How to hide the Hidden Files and Folders?

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

sein

Post by sein »

Hi.

I've been using 2xplorer for a long time. Thanks for this brilliant and generous tool. Now I´m trying 2x alpha. Another great software. The only problem is that I have no idea how to use the visual filter to prevent the hidden files and folders from showing, no idea what commands to type in. Can someone help me, please?
Thanks

Sein
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Let me get this straight, if you want to hide hidden file or folders, such as system folders, then you have to set the options in the windows explorer. You cannot set these options in 2xExplorer or x2.

Open up Windows explorer, go to Tools -> Folder options -> "View" tab -> and look at Hidden Files. Choose the option you want, then restart 2x or x2.

The visual filter in x2 can be accessed by pressing CTRL+J or by using the address bar, and typing the filter you want eg *.txt.

You should also post 2x or x2 questions in either "2X Explorer Support" or "2x General" as this forum is for the text editor only.
Vas
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is controlled by bShowHiddenFiles under the main registry key
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

I don't suppose we could have a toolbar button which would instantly hide/unhide "hidden" files and folders, could we?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't think this is worthwhile
but you could have a separate registry key for "all access" mode
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Nikos, could this and any other customising feature be put into an "options" box like in 2x, for the future?
Vas
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

many registry options will be moved to a proper Options dialog, but there will be tough competition for the available slots!
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Hey Nikos,

With regard the number of options available in an options dialog box, I recommend that you put all available options in there somewhere, even if they are only accessable via an 'advanced' button or whatever.

I say this because I know that people tend to like to customise things as much as possible, and I think the sort of users that x2 will probably attract (ie. mostly power users) will really appreciate the extra level of control that many options gives...
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Nikos, are you thinking of a multi-tabbed GUI to control all required registry values?

That way, we can deal with any number of registries. Since they would be logically grouped together on separate tabs, user will find it easy to locate.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

but really "advanced" users can hack the registry easy
it is the not-so-advanced that can do more harm than good and need to be presented with only the basic stuff
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

I can see your point about advanced users editing the registry, but editing the registry should be a last resort. The app uses a GUI for its operations, and therefore any options are be expected to be set in a GUI environment.

All you need is an advanced tab/button and a warning to follow. What follows is up to the user.

If things do go pear-shaped, then perhaps a "set to default" button to help out. Actually this won't work, because if registry settings are changed whilst x2 is open, then they have no effect when it is restarted.

I also agree with Morning Star, all the options should be made available in an options dialogue box.
Vas
pomj

Post by pomj »

You could supply a reg file with all available options. Then it's easy to do the customisation and then import the regfile.

That is if you don't want to do a proper options dialog.

br /michael