Remove Favourites, Libraries, Zip folders from xplorer2 view

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

metamorphosis

Remove Favourites, Libraries, Zip folders from xplorer2 view

Post by metamorphosis »

Hi there-
I know how to remove Favourites and Libraries in Windows Explorer (registry hacks) but it still shows up in xplorer2 (using lite version).
Also I noticed xplorer2 displays .zip files as folders in the tree view, need this off.
Is it possible to turn these off, either in the lite or pro versions?
Thanks,
Matt
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Remove Favourites, Libraries, Zip folders from xplorer2

Post by nikos »

you cannot control what appears in xplorer2 tree, it shows everything that is a folder
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

metamorphosis wrote:I know how to remove Favourites and Libraries in Windows Explorer but it still shows up in xplorer2 (using lite version).
The Favourites and Library tree entries are actually removed from x2 (using the standard hack) if you use an x64 file-manager. x2 Lite is 32-bit only, so the same registry changes don't apply. Using either the x64 pro or x64 ult versions of x2 will respect the proper removal of these tree items as expected.
metamorphosis wrote:Also I noticed xplorer2 displays .zip files as folders in the tree view, need this off.
Using the usual method of disabling the Windows ZIP folder handing will also remove them from the folder tree. Of course, you lose the ability to browse into them and will require an extractor like WinRAR or 7Zip as with any other archve-type, but they will disappear from the tree. :shrug:
nikos wrote:you cannot control what appears in xplorer2 tree
Of course you can. You really need to get out more, dude, people have been removing these things with Dionysian glee for years. All sorts of nonsense (like Homegroup and Network nodes) may also be killed. What's the first thing you do when you reinstall Windows - grin like a bunny at all the flotsam and jetsam that MS have littered about the place? I think not. One cleans house proper, and removes the slag and dross they put in the way. :wink:
metamorphosis

Post by metamorphosis »

Thanks Kilma,
one further question for both yourself and nikos -
I'm running win7 home premium, windows classic theme,
and in xplorer2 the folders blink when I mouseover near the [+] sign expansion symbol. Drives me batty, never did it in XP. It's a really, really subtle thing but very distracting.

This is driving me batty and never happened with XP.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

You might try Tools -> Advanced Options (external editor) -> Global (tab) -> Disable some vista effects.

This setting will disable much of the extra rendering that Aero (regardless of which theme is actually used) introduces... and it may or may not help any flickering interference when using the Classic Theme. It certainly can't hurt. Nothing else comes to mind, though. :shrug:

When I switch to classic theme to try and reproduce this, I cannot see any such flickering, so unfortunately I have nothing to go by.

Since Vista, the graphics card on your system (be it on-board or 3rd-party) is actually in charge of rendering the desktop (in other words, Windows farms it out to the graphics processor and its own internal memory) - no matter which theme is being rendered. So the use of things like the "classic theme" are essentially being "faked" as overlays by Windows these days, which may explain the subtle differences between real-XP-classic and the diet-XP-classic that Win7 provides. :wink: