Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

v2 License transfer from XP to Win7x64

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

NIKOS, Lord Kilmatead, et al,

My oldest client, one with a ... let's call it an aversion to change, has had the XP computer basically die and that means he had to get a replacement. That replacement is a Win7 computer running x64 OS. NOW, the trick is to transfer that license to the laptop. I've taught him to save the settings to both an INI and a REG file. So those files are available. But I'm old and I can't remember the sequence of making MY move a half-dozen years ago. I SEEM to remember it was just a case of installing X2 on the new computer and then just transferring the LIC file. I remember that despite the settings saved, I ended up starting the customization from scratch. Well worth the time, happy with the product.

SO, if I'm wrong about the process, what IS the process? Any complications going from XP to Win7x64? I DO seem to remember that the last v2 install processes were more direct in handling licenses. That makes me vaguely untrusting of myself.

STILL an X2 user, albeit v2. And I obviously STILL recommend the product to my clients.

GM
Last edited by Gary M. Mugford on 2015 Sep 10, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: v2 License transfer from XP to Win7x64

Post by Kilmatead »

You have the sequence correct. Just make sure that the new install uses the x64 variant of x2, whatever the version number. Once installed, make sure it's not running and transfer the LIC file and/or any settings (executing REG, etc). When restarted, it should be fine. To simplify this, do not install it the first time with the "replace explorer" option ticked - that will make it awkward to get Win Explorer up to actually transfer the license. If you "really really want" replacement mode, just run the installer again and tick it, after the initial install was successful. Overwriting is harmless and will not dislodge settings.

Bear in mind that the LIC file itself is just a text file containing a copy of your key - you can also just register it "via menu" by using copy/paste, if that's easier.

Naturally, switching between architectures brings its own small messes - any "Program Files" bookmarks or user-commands may or may not now need to be redirected to x86 suffixes depending on content, etc, but that's to be expected. There are no other "real" outstanding issues when moving from XP.

Some users have found the "retro" visual-style setting of Tools -> Advanced Options -> Global (tab) -> Disable some vista effects to be helpful when acclimatising to newer systems.
Gary M. Mugford wrote:STILL an X2 user, albeit v2. And I obviously STILL recommend the product to my clients.
And yet, with the fidelity of a Cleopatra, thou did'st stray amongst other pastures, no? :wink:
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thanks milord!

I have continued to have some health issues, but I've got a doc who makes home visits and the regular nurse visits and I made it through that "almost kicked the bucket' experience back in the spring. That's left me almost no time to really learn that OTHER product. I find x2 v2 always reliable. Your little add-on has made MY life (which is the important one) and OTHERS SOOOOO much easier, so I stay primarily with the product as I prefer it ... i.e. frozen in stasis where I have no learning of a new interface. You've seen my toolbars. Inertia be my middle name.

And I have recommended X2 to EVERYBODY I do business with. Not too many bought, but a few did. The smart ones. And even STARTING with v3, if you aren't UNLEARNING, v3 fits the bill.

Thanks for all your help and support. You and Bruno helped making buying an X2 licence one of the smartest decisions I ever made. Pass along thanks to Bruno too. I know I'm the strayed sheep. But I do proselytize. Hope that pays back some of the debt I owe NIKOS and you.

GM
Last edited by Gary M. Mugford on 2015 Sep 10, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Who, might I ask, is Bruno? Is that your pet name for Nikos, or are you just forgetting who you're in bed with again? That can be embarrassing, I've heard. The throes of passion, and all. :D
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Well ain't I the village idiot. Had email exchange this afternoon with Bruno Fierens, who is a developer for Delphi add-in libraries and tools. I apologize to Nikos. (and if you are wondering just what the heck I'm talking about, I called Nikos, Bruno, earlier. I've edited it to be correct. Or I hope I WILL be successful in editing it.

GM
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

little lost lamb welcome back home :)
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member