Transfer window automatic close

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

anton

Transfer window automatic close

Post by anton »

Hi,

I took me a long time to understand how to reproduce this bug, or better say incompatibility, which I constantly encountered with xplorer2, but after many months I got an enlightenment. The transfer window is not closed after a successful transfer if a virtual desktop application is used and a switch to another desktop is made during the transfer. The incompatibility is present with the AltDesk (http://www.astonshell.com/altdesk/) program that I am using, but I have also tried another virtual desktop application Dexpot (http://dexpot.de/) that produced the same result. Anyway, I suppose that all this application are working exactly on the same principle (except win10 of course which has his own implementation of virtual desktops), and thus all will produce the same result.

In summary to reproduce the bug:
-Launch a virtual desktop application (Dexpot has a free portable version if you want to test it quickly)
-Launch a transfer of a sufficiently big file to have time to switch desktops.
-Switch to another desktop and wait some time for the transfer to finish.
-Switch back to the original desktop and find out that the transfer window did not closed automatically, although the transfer finished successfully.

It will be nice if you could fix it. The standard windows transfer does not have such problem.

Thanks.

PS: Some newer items are not translated in the Russian version, I can translate them for you if you pass me the translation file.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Transfer window automatic close

Post by nikos »

hi anton
the transfer window normally hides itself, it doesn't disappear. If you don't switch desktops, you will see it works as expected
I don't know how these "virtual desktop" tools you use work but they must have the bug, not xplorer2. It is not something I could fix even if I wanted to

as for the Russian translation, I didn't have a guy for a long time, so I have been just keeping it "up to date" adding the English myself. If you want to help, you can get the translation pack from here
www.zabkat.com/x2translate.zip

there are instructions in there but please let me know if you need any more clarifications
anton

Post by anton »

Hi Nikos,

Ok, now I see what’s the problem. The virtual desktop applications work exactly through the hiding and showing of windows. When you say it to switch to another desktop, it just makes a list of current windows and hides them. When you switch back to the desktop, it brings back the windows from the list. As the virtual desktop application did not know that you have hidden the window in the meantime, it is still in its list, and thus it resurrects it when you switch back to the desktop.

Why do you hide the window instead of destroying it? Just to reuse the window handler next time and win some time on not recreating it?

I will update the translation and send it to you.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It is a conceptual problem
as to why I don't destroy the window? one of these attempts of mine for resource efficiency that is perhaps over the top :)

wrt translation, I think the Russian translation wasn't updated since v3, so there are a few things to catch up with. But thanks for reviving it!
anton

Post by anton »

Ok, I see.

A totally unrelated question. In the manual for xplorer2, which I think dates for many years now, it is said that you have plans to make changes to the program such as when we switch layouts, it happens in the same window and not in a newly opened window. Do you still have any plans to implement this? It will certainly be not an “over the top” optimization, but a much welcomed one :wink: .

For the translation, do I correctly understand that I just need to update the “Kenny_rus.rc” file located in “old resources” folder? To check it, can I build it with any modern windows SDK (I really don’t want to install the multi-gigabyte VS bloatware just to build a tiny dll)? The visual studio 6 mentioned in the readme is like 15 years old…
Well actually, I can just check the changes with the available dll and resource hacker. There were just some string lengths that needed adjustment in some places.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in-place layout changes are still not here. However there is an option to clone a new layout (window) and have the old window closed automatically.

as for the translation, ideally you need something with a resource editor. YOu can translate the _rus.RC file directly but then some dialogs will need adjustment. But that's easily done by me

if you decide to edit the RC file straight, make sure you save in PLAIN text (no UTF8) and save in your usual Russian encoding