2xExplorer Requests

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

<i>> I'd like to have a "better" browsing of the tree pane

if I take hitting <Enter> out of the picture, then the problem is that while you scroll up/down using the arrow keys then you'll inevitably load loads of folders you didn't mean to (those inbetween your starting and intended target folder). That's why <Enter> is useful. On the other hand, you can single-click with the mouse </i>

Well, not necessarily. If a short delay is used it would be not a problem if you browse more quickly through the tree pane with the cursor keys.

In fact I think one of the strongest points of 2xExplorer are the keyboard shortcuts. Don't you think it's a little bit uncomfortable to be able to do everything really nice and quick with the keyboard (like I do most of the time) and then have to use the mouse for one or two things you can't acomplish with the keys? Well, maybe it's just me.

<i>> show *all* files including those in subdirs in one filepane

The only way you could do that is to use a find command with "blank" fields, where all files will be "found" and placed in a single pane. Unfortunately the find results window is rather crappy at present, but that's the best i could suggest. </ i>

Well I know this and have used it this way already. Well, "crappy" or not, it still would be nicer to have the file-managing abilities in this or the real filepane like searching for duplicates, copying + moving from pane to pane and such likes. Ah well.

I forgot something in the last post. It's very nice the internal viewer is able to read rtf. For quick viewing purposes how about filtering out HTML tags so you can read the pure text of html files for quick browsing. An Addonfor Windows Filemanager called FM-View did that.

Another thing (just my personal taste though). I use the internal viewer and editor very often for quick viewing. I'd like it better if those "quickviews" would still be assigned to F3 and F4 and the external viewer (in my case a more powerful editor if needed) to Ctrl-F4 so internal and external editor can be used together regardless of the choice in options.

BRX
sika

Post by sika »

Heeyyy....you forgot me!!
deery

Post by deery »

Quote: from sika on 7:52 pm on Feb. 13, 2002
One feature I really miss is a "minimize to tray" option. I have 2xExplorer open all the time, but it could also sit comfortably in the tray when I'm not using it and I'd still have quick access to it.
Hi Sika & all,

something to try if you like to minimize applications (like 2xExplorer) to your tray is a little (freeware) utility called "TrayIt". I use it all the time, e.g. to minimize my email program, and it works really well for me.

The old URL I have still seems valid:
[url=http://www.teamcti.com/TrayIt/index.html

Give]http://www.teamcti.com/TrayIt/index.html

Give[/url] it a try. You might like it.

-- AH.

P.S. I think 2xExplorer is great! Thank You, Nikos!!
AGENT X

Post by AGENT X »

Opened up a can of worms on this catagory - didnt ya?
Can 2x make my breakfast in the morning? - Just kidding - How about Colored fonts for file types? This would be an AWESOME add-on
sika

Post by sika »

Thanks deery, but that url does not work (for me)
I also use a similar tool, called "PowerMenu" which does more than just minimize to tray. IT adds "Always On Top", "Minimize To Tray", "Priority" and "Transparency" sub menus to all top level system menus..

This a great tool, small and free.

Try it here:
[url=http://www.veridicus.com/tummy/programming/powermenu/

Still,]http://www.veridicus.com/tummy/programming/powermenu/

Still,[/url] I'm waiting for a reply Nikos...
mslammers

Post by mslammers »

Drop the /index.html and it works.  Often people make that mistake.
deery

Post by deery »

Quote: from sika on 1:52 am on Feb. 15, 2002
Thanks deery, but that url does not work (for me)
I see what went wrong with the TrayIt URL: I typed a dot ('.') directly after it, and the forum software added it to the link. Leaving the dot off fixes things.

I'll have a look at the utility you mentioned as well. It sounds interesting.

But I'm curious: if you're already using something to accomplish a minimize-to-tray, why do you still want Nikos to add it to 2xExplorer??

-- AH.
sika

Post by sika »

Deery,
1)Thanks to mslammers I managed to get there. Nice, but I like what I'm using.

2)To answer your (good) question, in all truth--I have no good answer.
Since I usually have so many applications running at the same time, I use "PowerMenu" all the time to navigate my way. But--I use "PowerMenu" because only 2xExplorer and perhaps one more program don't have a minimize to tray feature. "PowerMenu" does not a lot of resources, but one less applications running is a lot.

3) Let me refer you, and Nikos, and anyone else to this site:
[url=http://www.piquest.com/

Look]http://www.piquest.com/

Look[/url] for a program called "Easy Explorer" in the downloads section.
This program is very similar to 2xExplorer and also free. It has a minimize to tray feature and saves me the need to use an external program. (Even though I also always have 2x open all the time as well--but that's beside the point)

Take a look at this program, and compare with 2x.

Oh, and Nikos--I'm still waiting....
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

<i>Oh, and Nikos--I'm still waiting....</i>

waiting for Godo I presume? :)
dude, it seems that you found the solution already!

adding this option to 2x, well eventually I'll do it, but if you take a look at my TODO list, you'll see that there are many more things pending...

personally i don't use the tray too much, too small and cramped. I have the regular taskbar 5-6 lines tall so it will fit everything (& their dogs). Combining that with the autoHide feature is the ideal combination (for me)
Xavier_Grimwand

Post by Xavier_Grimwand »

So, Nikos ... Where is this ToDo list of yours ? :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

funny you should say that because i was just looking at it now, just! So have a look:

TODO list

(some familiarity with greek is required ;) )
rogthefrog

Post by rogthefrog »

Hi all,

I've been using 2xExplorer for a while, and there's one problem with it IMO -- when using the keyboard, if you highlight a folder, then delete it with the DEL key, the program gives you an error message, because it's trying to highlight a folder that doesn't exist anymore. Is there anyway to detect this kind of action and select, say, the next folder automatically instead?

Thanks for a great program.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

<b>rogthefrog</b>

i bet your problem is not the hilighting; you must be using the folder object someplace else (even within 2xExplorer, e.g. the other pane), that's why you get the sharing violation and are unable to delete it.
rfz

Post by rfz »

I have problems when I try to paste a file which name starts with a dot.
I know that windows does not allow to use such file names but they can be created with Editor² and they are very useful for unix apps ported to windows !
to be more explicit, the file I wanted to paste is ".htaccess".

I think, my second suggestion have been discussed but I haven't understood the reply (I'm french).
when I select a folder in the tree view, I can't browse onto the tree with the arrows. it automatically activate the folder pane (arrows then affect this pane).
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Thanks rfz for coming to my aid! :-)

Nikos, additionally to my second post with the "relay", have a look how old poor Windows Explorer handles it which IMHO is one of the few things it does better than 2xExplorer.

(If that doesn't work, I don't know ;-))

BRX