2xExplorer Requests

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

GarconFils

Post by GarconFils »

Just started using this GREAT program!   :wave:

One request I would like is to have an "Undo" feature.  This feature is available in other explorer programs but I kind of like using 2x Explorer.

I don't wanna open Windows Explorer just to "undo" somthing.  Also, since I'm using Litestep for the shell, right clicking on the desktop doesn't show explorer menu.   :baaa:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

FAQ# 19 explains my position on the topic -- it looks like you've read it already

there are technical limitations that make undoing actions impossible, unless i have to spend a couple of years coding around the problem  :0

by the way, what i mention in the FAQ about using explorer to undo 2x's actions will only work for win9x systems...
GarconFils

Post by GarconFils »

Yea... it's not that big of a deal.  I would have added that most explorer programs are too bloated.  2x is just right.

I can find a way to make a popup Explorer menu with Litestep or Powerpro. :shifty:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i've heard about litestep but i've never tried it myself
looks like a desktop alternative for the skin-enthusiast (?)
does it have it's own file manager then?
Phil K

Post by Phil K »

Can I just say thanks for an excellent prog ! Oh yes - and how do I make 3 panes instead of two ? I am getting a new comp shortly, and will be transferring my presnt 2 HD's over.
GarconFils

Post by GarconFils »

I'm not sure if there's a Litestep module/plugin to replace Explorer but wouldn't be surprise if there was one.  Litestep is freeware, great for those who like to customize and tinker around with Windows.

here's a good place for all alternative shell info.
http://www.shellfront.org/

here's a place to see some themes. Scroll down (left side) to themes/litestep...

http://www.customize.org/

Oh yea.. how about a file encryption feature!  Or does anyone recommend a good encryption program.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Phil K:
how do I make 3 panes instead of two ?
you can't -- unless you open another 2x instance

GarconFils:
how about a file encryption feature!
if you have windows 2000 or better, then you can use the standard NTFS encryption facilities, available through a folder's properties dialog, which you could see using 2xExplorer. I have never worked with encrypted folders though so perhaps somebody else will come up with a better suggestion
Phil K

Post by Phil K »

Ah right. fair enough !  :beer:   :p
daataaa

Post by daataaa »

Hiya :)

I like your prog...it has obvious benefits over w/explorer, yet isn't as bulky as wincommander or Opus. This I like. The small size (when Aspacked it's as small as Salamander) is impressive also.

Unfortunately, I use the freeware shell extension FileTip, distributed from ZD-Net, and the thought of giving it up to use 2xE might force a change in my medication...FileTip's at:

[http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/dow ... iletip.zip]

This little thing became addictive in no time flat :) it will show the names of files inside zips (default 5...reset to 100 or more) in a little pop-up when you stop and hover the cursor over the target. It displays a good chunk of text from *.txt, *.reg, *.log, and *.nfo files without having to open them in Notepad; shows the binary and string versions PLUS dependancys of exe's, dll's, scr...etc., and other nfo for most other file-types...and I have gotten so dependant on it, that I wind up using w/explorer as first choice just because these functions are present.

The friggin' thing only works with w/explorer, but the article about it at ZD-Net gets real detailed about its mechanics, and the dl package includes the sources.

If there were a way to twist this prog into working with 2xE, I'm certain I could be re-integrated into polite society. Please Help!

daataaa

:p
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

[... recovering from a LMAO fit ... ;) ]

i didn't know about this utility but i suspect it takes over the shell tooltips for its own selfish means

if these guys are doing it the "proper" way (you can check for a key named "InfoTip" or something like "{00021500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}" under e.g. the ZIP registry key), then this functionality is coming with the next major update

BTW, what these people are doing is no rocket science, everybody can power-up the infotips and no programming is required for showing stock properties: just a bit of registry hacking. But you wouldn't get things like zipcontents ...
daataaa

Post by daataaa »

:turn:

The prog is an example of dll-hell...it plunks 12 extension-specific dll's into a folder; which handle all the file-types...but I'm more into balloon-science, and don't understand the magic wangers involved. I was kind of hoping that some reg-patch or something could fool it into believing that 2xE was Mama :)

If you are saying that tooltips sound like a good tweak for 2xE, then please do the zip-thang while you're at it...I have no short-term memory and like, really use the zip-listings a lot...a whole bunch of lots, even...and because I also use the Popcorn mailer to check my pop accounts, the saved mail from that  prog is in the form of tons of separate *.txt files; and this pop-up dealie with the first few lines of text lets me find this and that pretty easily.

Thanks for your response...and if you can suggest a way to fool FileTips into acting rationally, or slip the same stuff into 2xE, I promise not to make fun of my idiot president anymore...'cept on Halloween, Mondays and alternate Wednesdays.

daataaa

:turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i downloaded the app and checked the source code (these guys, like myself, have no business sense and are going to die penniless misers :) )

i can confirm that they are playing by the rules, which means that 2x in the next incarnation will be able to cooperate with filetips and other similar extensions

:party:
daataaa

Post by daataaa »

Excellent :)

Thank you for your responses, nikos...I can hardly wait :)

daataaa

:xmas:
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Hey Great

I use filetip and also infotip (They seem to cohabit :inlove: quite well) and really miss them in 2x

Am salivating already for next version

John
AGENT X

Post by AGENT X »

:thumbdn:
Hey Nikos !
  If you think windows explorer sucks - you should try this sorry excuse for a file manager on my pocket PC !  Be our savior and make 2x for palm tops !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :)  :)  :)  :)  :)