2xExplorer Requests

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

JD5000

Post by JD5000 »

How about grid lines? Dunno, I just like them. :) Support for 256 color icons in the drive bar?

Oh and uh..... I may be dreaming but, a "quick find" toolbar? Much like the one in Opera.  :bigsmile:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

most of these stuff are coming in a next version --- except for the palmtop version -> no room for dual panes there!
AGENT X

Post by AGENT X »

[quote] I'd Settle for 1xExplorer for palm ( $$ if necessary )
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

What OS are we talking about? CE? I am not sure if this OS supports the infrastructure that allows 2x to operate... but then again i'm not sure either! Do you think there's a hole in the market here?   :D
djp9

Post by djp9 »

Hi,

I think he means his list of To Do's for 2xE.

Which I'm sure is an exaustive list  :lol:

cyer - Dave
ashamen

Post by ashamen »

Something I've always thought was missing from explorer was the size of file folders. Could you add the size of folder contents to the size column instead of the < folder > thing?
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Hey Nikos,

back to one request someone else already posted (I think). Of course I don't know Jack about programming problems, but isn't it possible to expand the functionality of the result window of "Find" with renaming (F2), copying (F5) and moving (F6) directly (not only selecting with Enter and switching back). I noticed that one pane still remains "active" under the results windows. Can't this be the standard target folder of the move/copy operation like it is between the two panes normally?

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ashamen

the folder options command Ctrl+D does what you want in 2x on demand. In the new winXP version of explorer you can see the size of the subfolders by hovering the mouse over a folder and XP will oblige by calculating the size and presenting it into a tooltip window

i haven't yet figured out how to do this, but as soon as i do i'll add it in xplorer2

BRX

the find results window supports a limited range of commands via a right-click context menu. For more options you can hilight files and hit Enter to load them into a regular pane for more flexibility. Or you can launch the standard explorer find command from within 2x from some folder's context menu

in the new generation 2x you'll be able to do everything directly from the find output window, i can't wait :)
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Nikos
the find results window supports a limited range of commands via a right-click context menu. For more options you can hilight files and hit Enter to load them into a regular pane for more flexibility. Or you can launch the standard explorer find command from within 2x from some folder's context menu
Sure, I know and use it frequently. Always wanting more. :-)

So,
in the new generation 2x you'll be able to do everything directly from the find output window, i can't wait
is extremely delightful news. Can't wait either. :-)

(Now if only that tree browsing with keys would work without Enter ;-))

BTW, is it common behaviour of 2xExplorer that it clears the Windows clipboard cache every time during a file operation in 2xEx (e.g. deleting a file)? Or is it only me (Win98SE)? I also had some problems running a clipboard extension called Clipboard Pile together with 2xEx which probably had the same reason.

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

yeah, when i first wrote the drag/drop/delete etc code that powers 2x i didn't know many things about data objects so i just took clipboard for a ride instead. Sorry about that folks!

you'll be glad to know that this is now fixed in xplorer², a sample (alpha) of which you may be able to experience perhaps as early as next week
crunk

Post by crunk »

i love 2x.... thank you.

i find myself using the batch-generation thinger to rename a stack of files fairly often, and once in a while i wish there was some way to specify a _substring_ of the current filename to use in the new filename... howbout bracketed regex? ok... now that i've gone and asked for too much, howbout this: a way to specify an offset into the current filename, meaning "chop off this many characters"... something like $5$B for removing five from the front, or $B$5 for lopping 'em off the backside? i realize there would be some problems to work out, and for all i know, a feature like this may not appeal to anyone else in the world, but i figured it couldn't hurt to mention it. =)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i am thinking of regular expressions for general filtering and batch generation, but on the other hand I feel that people that can manage these syntaxes may be better off using windows scripting host files (visual basic for managing files) to do so much more

so this is not going to be a top priority
subterrane

Post by subterrane »

I think this has been said before, but...

Would it be possible to list files as well as folders in the tree view? I've been searching for a single pane explorer to essentially make up for Visual Studio .NET's completely broken Solution Explorer. Back in the day, you could browse the filesystem with a nice tree docked in the IDE. Now it uses "shortcuts" and abstracts you from the filesystem. Anyway, to make a short story even longer, I have found that I can use 2xExplorer to fill this need.

But it would be just slightly cooler to have one tree view instead of the treeview and a file pane.

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the tree gets hard to use as it is in large hierarchies with loads of folders. Adding files into it would only make things worse
sysyphus

Post by sysyphus »

GarconFils wrote:"Yea... it's not that big of a deal. I would have added that most explorer programs are too bloated. 2x is just right. "

Okay, but a file manager that doesn't let you undo seems like an oversight to me.....
In an attempt to be constructive OTS, couldn't 2x use its own trash can system independent of the explorer one?

OAS: I'd appreciate a command line option to set the window position and size: This would allow me to open multiple instances of 2x (from a batch file etc) of all my favourite folders in a familar pattern on screen (and I think this would deal with previous wish-list requests I've seen to turn 2x into an "nx").

My current favourite feature is "+" and "-": But being a novice I find I often make a mistake and blatt the selection with an incorrect wildcard or hitting plus instead of minus etc: An "undo last command" would be a life-safer in this sort of situation.....

Please don't interpete any of this as a moan: 2x is my favourite FM by far...
"Yea... it's not that big of a deal. I would have added that most explorer programs are too bloated. 2x is just right. "

Okay, but a file manager that doesn't let you undo seems like an oversight to me.....
In an attempt to be constructive OTS, couldn't 2x use its own trash can system independent of the explorer one?

OAS: I'd appreciate a command line option to set the window position and size: This would allow me to open multiple instances of 2x (from a batch file etc) of all my favourite folders in a familar pattern on screen (and I think this would deal with previous wish-list requests I've seen to turn 2x into an "nx").

My current favourite feature is "+" and "-": But being a novice I find I often make a mistake and blatt the selection with an incorrect wildcard or hitting plus instead of minus etc: An "undo last command" would be a life-safer in this sort of situation.....

Please don't interpet any of this as a moan: 2x is my favourite FM by far...