Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for the undo feature see FAQ# 19. It's not something that can be easily done

> a command line option to set the window position and size

that's partially what the /S command line option does, which saves all the settings in the specified registry key. You can have as many of those as you want. See 2xExplorer.rtf for more info

finally, although there's no "undo selection" support, you can use the save selection command in the Mark | Selection menu and then it will be protected.
sysyphus

Post by sysyphus »

thanks Nikos

of course I could have worked this out if I'd RTFM :blush:

My only excuse is your home page doesn't display properly in Opera 6.01 (the table is missing down the right side of the page) so I didn't realise the help stuff existed.

thanks again
sysyphus

Post by sysyphus »

Nikos,

I was wondering if you would consider an idea for saving configurations out of 2x ?
I know you already have a means of doing this but this method requires the decision to start the app like this in the first place.

My thought is it would be nice to be able to make the decision at any time while browsing.

For example if I was browsing 2 folders, say "Dir1" and "Dir2" and thought "I do this a lot, lets save this", Files>Save would bring up the file save dialog and whatever was entered would be saved as a shortcut with the appropriate /S option, and the current configuration would be saved in the registry under that same branch name also of course.

At least one problem with this idea would be the proliferation of branches in the registry that might result... so then we'll probably be asking you for a mini-app to prune these... :rolleyes:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

except for the /S command line option, 2x allows other easier ways to save parts of the configuration. Saving toolbar arrangements (View | Layouts) comes to mind. The bookmarks themselves are a form of customisation within a single registry key

of course what you want is to have pairs of favorite folders for quick access. Well I've seen this functionality in that dinosaur of a manager called wincommander (:thumbdn: what a throwback to yesteryear! ) so i guess it makes some sense to consider it for a future addition

for the present, if you want to quickly duplicate 2x's registry settings under a different registry key, it's easy as 1-2-3:
1. Open regedit, locate 2x's key and export it to a .reg file
2. Rename the main key to something else e.g. 2xExplorerAlt (so that you may use it with /S:Alt)
3. Re-import the original key by double-clicking on the .reg file saved earlier

This process is much easier in xplorer² since there's a menu command to change the master registry key
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

It's so refreshing to here your opinion on WinCommander :-)

Despite the universal praise it claims from the major part of the internet communities I never could warm up to it.

My delightment in finding 2Ex is still continuing and will likely for a long time. :-)

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there's no denying that WC (i wonder why this acronym hasn't caught on? :) ) has tons of functionality, but it looks so wooden. It gives me the chills every now and then I try it out -- checking what the competition is up to. It looks like the ghost of christmas past. I suppose it appeals to traditionalists that want to use a program that looks and feels exactly as the original NC. I am not one of them

you also have to marvel at its complete disregard to shell integration -- it won't get into anything other except for filesystem folders. I believe that xplorer² with its advanced integration and extra columns will kick WC's arse comprehensively :D -- except if you are an FTP fan
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Very much looking forward to the future we've seen ;-)

Another thing, maybe it's possible to make the find-command "smarter" than now? Maybe there's a way to do something with the registry for 2Ex even now, but I didn't find it.

What I mean is, can you make the find command remember the last used settings? I'm very often searching for text phrases in certain files. And right now I have to do the extra two keystrokes alt-T and alt-W to get to the box to enter the phrase. Would be much more convenient if it sticks to the box that was used last.

BTW, do you know that 2Ex disappears from the Taskmanager (so you can't switch back with alt-Tab) if you leave the find-window open and switch to another application? Only way back is with the taskbar. Strange bug (Win98SE).

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

find command is one of those that are going to receive a major overhaul in x2. However, remembering the old settings shouldn't be a problem already -- the dialog window remembers your old search parameters

in particular wrt text search options, these are shared with the Mark | Advanced | Containing text [Ctrl+G] and the internal editor. Changing e.g. case sensitivity option in one is automatically reflected in all the others
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Slight misunderstanding, Nikos (or I'm too dumb). Sure it remembers for instance the last phrase. But to use that I still have to use alt-T before and if I want to enter another phrase I have to use alt-W again.

In my ideal world I'd only need to use Ctrl-F, end up in the (last used and remembered) text box, enter the new phrase and hit enter. That's what I meant.

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok now i see what you mean
(and i thought that I was the person with the highest demands on efficiency worldwide :) )

well this is a trade-off. If the text option was always on and it did remember your last phrase, then in each search that you didn't want to search for text then you'd have to manually uncheck the "Use text constraints" box.

however you gave me an idea to make things a little more efficient, edging towards the optimal usability level: once you check the box it should move the focus to the text-input field so you won't have to type the second Alt+W to move there manually

I understand your point 100% -- I can get too fussy with details like that myself   :)
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Well, maybe I would consider my request more as 100 % laziness than the highest demand on efficiency. ;-)

Yes, your solution would certainly be "smart" enough and suit the purpose. (And of course I didn't want it to prompt the text box all the time; that was what I meant with "smart" and "remembering"; but "manual remembering" by using a check box certainly does it)

Thanks for considering

BRX

(Now if you would consider browsing the tree pane with keys efficient as well :-))