2xExplorer Requests

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Post by Guest »

Things I'd like to see change in 2XExplorer :

(1). New icons. [ ask for permission to use icons that someone else made ]

(2). Customizable Button Bars ... [ as in, what buttons are on them. Some of the buttons do nothing on my PC because of my Windows version (ME) ]

(3). [ EDITED OUT ]

That's all I got for now ... :)

P.S. Nikos is da-man ;)

(Edited by Xavier Grimwand at 5:52 pm on Feb. 26, 2002)
rir3760

Post by rir3760 »

Setting the panes vertically is explained in 2xExplorer's Faq, it's Q23.

Hope this helps

Post by Guest »

Heh, so it is true you learn something new every day :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Xavier,

let me expand on what rir3760 (i bet this was not a church-imposed name :) ) said.

> (1). New icons

There's no way you can insert new icons in 2x, but since it's using the system image list, any changes that affect that will be reflected in 2x. So if you use desktop.ini you can change any folder icon. (if you find this too techie, then try the wizard from View | Customize this folder... menu in the standard explorer)

you can change regular file type icons (text *.txt, documents *.doc etc) using the Folder Options dialog from Start menu | Settings or within the control panel. Any icon changes will be read by 2xExplorer, after you restart the program.

> (2). Customizable Button Bars

unfortunately this is harder than it seems, and with so many other more important functionality details to be addressed, it's not high on my agenda.

HTH
Nikos

PS. thanks to rir3760 for the response. That's the idea of this forum, users helping users!
Xavier_Grimwand

Post by Xavier_Grimwand »

I guess I should have been a bit more wordy with the "New Icons" idea. I meant new icons for 2XExplorer itself ( Not folder icons like you thought. I already have a program that can do that. ). Also using ResHack on 2XExplorer I found that the icons for the buttons were actually from bitmaps. So if I have my Windows 3D Object color set to a dark color the icons (bitmaps) invert. While on the other hand the Drives bar gets it's icons from the drives themselves (mosty).  
That is what I should have said :)

So now do you get what I mean ?
Use 'actual' icons on the bars.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well, if you want to change 2x's toolbar icons with resource hacker, be my guest! -- just be prepared for another "face-lift" when the next version comes out ;)
mslammers

Post by mslammers »

How about adding the capability to have Thumbnails in My Pictures folder?
Xavier_Grimwand

So the Thumbnail viewer isn't enough for you eh ?
Do you mean have the thumbs apear in the file panes ?
mslammers

Post by mslammers »

Yep, like Windows Explorer in XP and 2000 does.
Xavier_Grimwand

... AND Windows 'Me'  ;)

I have it on my PC at home.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'm sorry to disappoint you folks, but the full thumbnailed view is something quite difficult to implement (i'd have to start from scratch, no help from Windows API there).

You can always go back to explorer for such services, when you'll be reminded why you wanted to replace the darn thing in the first place :)
sika

Post by sika »

One feature I really miss is a "minimize to tray" option. I have 2xExplorer open all the time, but it could also sit comfortably in the tray when I'm not using it and I'd still have quick access to it.
dpupello

Post by dpupello »

First off, I love 2xExplorer!

A few requests:

1. In the left tree pane, the current behavior is to "auto-scroll" it to the right when you click on a long folder name.  I wish this behavior could be an option, instead of the default.

2. Pressing Alt-Enter on when a file is highlighted does not bring up the properties.  Doh!  (Same thing happens when a folder is highlighted in the tree pane).  Of course this may be by design, but I use Alt-Enter all the time.   Ah, dumb self just noticed F12 as hotkey for properties. <b>Double doh!</b>   Perhaps an Option to enable Alt-Enter for properties?

3. Maybe it's just my system, but refreshing the current file pane does not seem to work (even using Control-R.  And F5 is now mapped to "Copy To" ).  I have to manually go to another folder, then return to the previous folder to see it refresh (at least to see the sorting order refresh).

4. In the tree pane, when a folder that contains subfolders is highlighted, the shortcut keys NumPad+ and NumPad- do not do their normal function of expanding or collapsing the tree.

Just some thoughts for consideration.

Thanks again for providing such a cool and useful program.  Cheers, senor!
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Repeating myself, but I love 2xExplorer, too, of course.

Just trying to make a terrific program even better.

(BTW, I'm tripping about the alt-Enter thing now or then, too. Old customs die hard)

I'd like to have a "better" browsing of the tree pane. Right now you have to press "enter" each time you like to see the content of the folder in the file pane. So you can't go through quickly through several folders to see if or what files are in it. I would like the content of the folder shown (in the file pane) when you move with the mouse cursors on it.

Another pet wish of mine is a feature I've only seen with the old X-Tree Gold filemanagers (maybe the current Z-Tree does have it as well, don't know) which would set 2xExplorer definitely apart from all of the current contenders.

It would be cool to have an option to show *all* files including those in subdirs in one filepane (with sorting options etc. of course). This could be very useful in some filehandling situations. Probably not easy to implement.

Just some thoughts as well.

Cheers

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

replying in a first come-first served basis, let's deal with dpupello to begin with:

<i>> tree pane, the current behavior is to "auto-scroll" the right when you click on a long folder name</i>

sorry, no bonus. I can't change this behaviour...

<i>> Pressing Alt-Enter on when a file is highlighted does not bring up the properties</i>

<ALT> key is very significant in 2x. Whichever action may lead to changing a directory (e.g. double-clicking on a folder icon, typing a path in the address bar etc) normally affects the active pane. Now, if you do the same action while pressing ALT, the new folder will be loaded into the INactive pane instead. Too bad that <Alt+Enter> overlaps then... See keyboard.txt for more info about cool shortcuts like this one.

<i>> refreshing the current file pane does not seem to work</i>

if all the refresh you want is to repair the sorting order, then you need <Ctrl+S> instead of <Ctrl+R>. If you want this sorting being performed automatically, then check the relative option in the View | Options dialog.

<i>> NumPad+ and NumPad- do not do their normal function of expanding or collapsing </i>

you are an old hand, no? :) Well, in 2x, the left and right arrows have the functions you are after.

OK, now on to BRX:

<i>> I'd like to have a "better" browsing of the tree pane</i>

if I take hitting <Enter> out of the picture, then the problem is that while you scroll up/down using the arrow keys then you'll inevitably load loads of folders you didn't mean to (those inbetween your starting and intended target folder). That's why <Enter> is useful. On the other hand, you can single-click with the mouse

<i>> show *all* files including those in subdirs in one filepane </i>

The only way you could do that is to use a find command with "blank" fields, where all files will be "found" and placed in a single pane. Unfortunately the find results window is rather crappy at present, but that's the best i could suggest.