Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

browser wars

Post by nikos »

this may offer an objective reason why you would want to ditch IE7
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001023.html

i tried the benchmark on IE6 and it is as rubbish!
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Security is far more important than speed.

Some banking websites will only render properly with IE, so one is forced to use two or more browsers...
1). For sites that only render IE
2). The fastest browser for surfing, (if speed is important).
3). the most secure browser.

I personally would place security above speed, but where is the REAL evidence that "x" is more secure than "y"
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

security wise IE lost the game ages ago, no?
it's not that firefox programmers are better, it's that IE attracts more attackers :)
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

nikos wrote:security wise IE lost the game ages ago, no?
it's not that firefox programmers are better, it's that IE attracts more attackers :)
from what I glean from various web articles, Hackers are infecting the actual sites with malicious code which is transparent to any browser, so it's really irrelevant as to which browser you use, if you visit one of these sites you'll be owned, so whats a person to do ?, I think that a sandbox is the way to go for surfing, and then do money transactions on trusted sites with a sterile browser.
but what do i know......just a simple user.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

A couple of thoughts here.  These are not meant to spawn a browser war as I currently have 7 different browsers installed, use Firefox as my default, use IE when it is required (MSN Games and Windows / Microsoft Downloads pages, sometimes - yes, I have the WGA and OGA plugin and can sometimes get content through Fx, but not always) and a few others for testing, compatibility, and just to see how they work.

1)  Opera is faster than IE or Fx.

2)  Fx, with NoScript extension, and now IE, with the development of IE Pro / IE plus (two separate addons for IE 7) has the ability to block all Javascript on a page - I have my settings in Fx set to never allow JAVAScript by default, allowing only trusted sites to use JAVAScript - and anything that smacks of advertising is automatically blocked and gets moved to my Untrusted list for future reference.

3)  Browser add-ons are available (like SiteAdvisor, SiteHound, RobotGenius RGuard, etc) to help prevent loading of malicious sites (most are rules based, though, so a brand new malicious website can easily slip through until it is reported and added to the rules)

4)  Safe browsing techniques will keep you pretty safe - don't open links in emails, set your email client to never display HTML or run scripts, lock down your browser, use a hosts file, etc).

The big thing nowadays is the proliferation of the botnets and their relentless attacks on both individual users' systems (by probing IP addresses constantly) as well as concentrated attacks on websites to hack them to inject malicious code.  The safest use of a computer is without any external device readers / drives and with no connection to the Internet.  The safest browser?  There isn't one.  No browser is 100% safe, and can never be.

I contribute to CastleCops and CalendarofUpdates, and time and time again it is the lack of end user education that keeps these malicious 'script kiddies', as I call them, in business.  Anyone can go out and buy a computer - but if legislation were developed to start penalizing those who run open, hackable computers that can be joined to a botnet, I bet there would be a big move to provide end user education at a level of sophistication that would shut down a vast majority of the botnets within weeks.

Instead, the money grubbing coalitions such as the RIAA and the MPAA (*AAs I call them) would rather prosecute file sharing users as opposed to developing a new model of offering music and video to a much more vast audience than it could previously reach.  Security is left behind as end users try and try and try to circumvent the system in order to do what they want to, because they have no clue that, in order to do what they want, they subject themselves to the pitfalls of getting infected.

We don't *only* need better software, hardware, security, etc - we also need better users.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

on this subject, m$ intends to wipe out old IE6 installations forcing IE7 as an "automatic update" tomorrow  :shock:
i found this download that may help (not 100% sure)
http://tinyurl.com/kwkgt