New Board Soon!

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

I have been working on the new Board.  It should be ready sometime this week.  The new board will have all the features that were requested and a lot more. :thumbup:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

our saviour! :)

talking about upgrades, I have noticed that when I click on "Mark all forum posts as read" within some particular forum, it clears <i>all</i> forums (e.g. both 2xEditor & 2xExplorer)

is that by design or is it perhaps some "feature" like what I did with windows XP zipfolders in 2xExplorer? :)
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

Mark all forum posts as read, should clear the post in the current forum.

Mark all posts as read, should clear the posts on the entire board but it doesn’t always work that way.

Hey, you need to have some bugs, it make life interesting. :biggrin:

The new board will be interesting. I have to try to convert all usernames, passwords, forums and posts plus other information without screwing it up.

It’s enough to make my head spin. :spin: :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

how does this group work anyway?

are there CGI (shell) scripts underneath or something more fanciable?
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

There are a lot of Perl scripts using CGI that work together to run this board. The new one has at least 20 times the amount of scripts as this board. In addition, this board uses flat text database.

The new one will run with MySQL, which will make it a lot faster. However, people will not see an increased performance in speed because the new board will be doing a lot more processing with CGI.

CGI slows things down. If you use PHP, you can get around CGI thus making it quicker but I was not able to find an acceptable PHP board. It is like everything else, you have to weigh the good and bad and reach a compromise. Overall, I think everyone will be happy with the new board. :)