Thanks Nikos!

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Prefect

Post by Prefect »

As of this writing, 81 views of 'A welcome from the author' but only 3 replies total in the forum?!

C'mon people, wake up! =)

Nikos, I wanted to express my gratitude to you for developing 2xExplorer and freely distributing it. Having grown up on the Amiga, what I sorely missed for the longest time on the PC was a dual pane explorer.

To this date, i'm amazed that the windows explorer hasn't been updated with the kind of functionality 2xExplorer has! Then again, maybe that's a good thing -- 2xExplorer has a lot of goodies that they'd surely miss integrating as well. (Would windows explorer ever have content synching? ha!)

Keep up the great work. If all of your users are 2xExplorer junkies like me (Speak up, 2xExplorer junkies!) then we anxiously await your next update. ...and the next. ..and the next....

Cheers!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Cheers dude!

I was a bit weary about the low participation rate in this new forum, but hey, it's new so not many people know about it. Perhaps I'll send an email to registered users to alert them. That should give a steady supply of expert answer-givers!

Thanks for your good words, I never imagined 2x could get people that excited. I guess it makes my today's self-inflicted head "abuse" on custom column handler providers all worthwhile. Yes, I'm thinking about new features, or rather features that will make 2x equal to windows explorer where it is currently lacking, like extra columns. And of course maintaining and expanding the features that make it such an explorer-beater. I don't know when this will happen, but we'll get there!

Nikos
Knasrov

Post by Knasrov »

Many, many thanks. I've been using 2XE since near the original. It has saved more time, I'd say, than all the well-publicised MS productivity improvements. Copying and moving files, especially to/from CDR/CD-RW using F5/F6 is the most useful feature for me. Comparing files (="Locate Identical" Ctrl+F9) is also widely appreciated. It's fast, reliable, intuitive, free of bloated features and how can you possibly even begin to consider using Win without it <g>.

I've never met the author and have no contact with this program development (apart from using it), but i'd say that a few dollars to express appreciation for such a great (and free) program would make y'all feel better.
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Hey Nikos,

once again many thanks for your program. I think it's an ingenious piece of software and I use it daily as my tool of choice for filemanaging over strong contenders like WinCommander, ServantSalamander or PowerDesk Pro.

I like how it combines the best from the worlds of WinExplorer and the NC Clones.

Also I like it there's a forum now. Another chance to bug you a little more in public with some tiny requests ;-)

Please keep up the great work!

BRX
RONALD CAJELAIS

Post by RONALD CAJELAIS »

I'm very happy for Nikos!
Thanks to NETZ for hosting his pages!
Thanks to Nikos for devlopping this Wonderful App!
Thanks to Bill Gates not to think enough to come up with a program such as this Great 2XExplorer!
Thanks to everyone who sent donations to Nikos: he deserves it!!!!
rfz

Post by rfz »

I do not really often use 2xExplorer, but I have associated 2xEditor to the extention .* it is very cool.
all unknown file is opened with it (as every linux text files without extension).

I have another suggestion for 2xEditor:
could it be possible to enable the viewer mode for already read/write opened files ?
it could be useful to read log files without shutting down a server or whatever application being 'loging' !

thanks nikos !

(Edited by rfz at 11:42 am on Feb. 12, 2002)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

> I have another suggestion for 2xEditor

first of all, i'd recommend switching over to "new generation" Editor², which is nimbler, has more features and is the one that's going to be further developed in the future.

> could it be possible to enable the viewer mode
> for already read/write opened files

as soon as 2xEditor loads a file, it "closes" the real disc file, working with the loaded memory image. So yes, you could switch to read-only mode hitting <F6> and then refresh read-shared files as often as you want hitting <F5>

By the way, was this a thread about 2xEditor? ;)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

2xexplorer is one of the best pieces of software in my machine. I came here because of your mail for registered users, nikos. That was a good idea.
So, i agree with everyone here.
Thanks for creating 2x.
rfz

Post by rfz »

>first of all, i'd recommend switching over
>to "new generation" Editor², which is
>nimbler, has more features and is the
>one that's going to be further
>developed in the future.

I did so but i still call it 2xEditor (sorry for the confusion)

>as soon as 2xEditor loads a file, it
>"closes" the real disc file, working with
>the loaded memory image. So yes, you
>could switch to read-only mode hitting
><F6> and then refresh read-shared files
>as often as you want hitting <F5>

no ! I don't want to open a file, already opened by Editor², with another app. I want to open, with Editor², a file that was opened by another app in r/w mode.
the notepad is capable of this.

as an example:
-open a .txt file with word
-open the same file with editor² (access to the file is denied nevertheless Editor² is in read only mode)
-open the same file with notepad (access is granted ?!?)

this is very useful to see the log file of apache without shutting down the server ...

>By the way, was this a thread about
>2xEditor? ;)

I started in this thread so the reply will be in the same one.

(Edited by rfz at 5:41 am on Feb. 13, 2002)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

> I want to open, with Editor², a file that was
> opened by another app in r/w mode.

i see what you mean. I have fixed this problem with 2xExplorer's internal viewer but it seems to have slipped in the stand alone Editor². Thanks for bringing that up, i'll fix it.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try version 2.0.0.7, that should do it
rfz

Post by rfz »

oops, my version was not up to date (2.0.0.5)

thanks.
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Just want to say two thing:

First, thanks Nikos for the BEST file manager around

And second - as far as I knew I was a registered user but never received notification of the new site.
Am I registered??

John
Rockit

Post by Rockit »

Great Stuff Nikos!
Early in the year I was grappling with trying to select and move files from the Computer across to CD and using the MS Explorer proved too cumbersome. Then I remembered the 2xExplorer and pressed it into service. It did the job admirably and by the time I had done I calculated that  I must have saved myself  about an hour of time just in that one session.

I have referred it to all my on-line friends and have now gone as far as setting it to be the default when the MS Internet keyboard's My Computer Button is pressed, since I find I am just about always looking to shift files around on the hard drive.

Congratulations on an Excellent Product. It does you proud.!

Cheers, from Down Under in NZ
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

JohnP

I can't tell your email from here, but since you didn't receive the notification email, it seems that you are not registered with me (although I might have your email)

<b><i>Registration Note for all Users</i></b>

Since recently I had some trouble with people calling me a spammer without cause, I have been reluctand to send emails to anything but users that have contacted me specifically for registration:
<ul>
<li> Either having REGISTER or something in the email subject
<li>Or talking explicitly about registration in the email text
</ul>

People just sending question emails or pats on the back are <b>not</b> considered registered, and get very few notifications from me, if at all recently. So if you want to receive notifications please make sure to let me know that you really want to be registered.