Niko: Thanks for the Tips!

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Niko: Thanks for the Tips!

Post by kunkel321 »

I just wanted to comment on your blog (and the occasional "tip" in the forums).  Besides being a computer-geek-wanna-be by night, I'm also an educational psychologist-by-day.  As such, things that pertain to teaching and learning strategies, or facilitation thereof, tend to catch my attention.

X2 is a huge program... Well... Actually it's quite compact... What I mean is that it does many many things and has the ability to do them in many many ways.  It's features and abilities are both *broad* (covering a lot of ground) and have *depth* (each area of ground that it covered is covered well).  

What this means to a person who isn't already an expert in the Windows architecture, is a steep learning curve.  I can stumble my way around Windows programs and figure things out pretty well.  Also, I'm the kind of person that reads the manual.  Just doing these two things makes a huge difference.  I think the blog adds a whole other level of learning facilitation though....

LEARN by DOING:
My point is that people learn by *doing,* not just by reading.  When I try to *do* something with X2 (add custom commands, do searches, etc, etc) I can look in the manual and find what information I need.  But in this situation I have to already have a goal in mind of what it is I want to do.  I.e., it will always be a feature I'm already--at least--vaguely aware of; one that I'm doing.

LEARN by READING:
On the flip side; If I'm just sitting back, not really working on anything particular, reading the manual, I can learn things that are entirely new to me.... "Hey cool, I didn't know X2 could do that!"  However this scenario also has the disadvantage that it's learning by *reading* and not by *doing.*  The practical "real life" component is not present.  This significantly reduces internalization of the skill and the ability to generalize it into *doing* settings.

LEARN by READING and VICAROISLY DOING:
I believe that your blog entries provide the best of both of these worlds.  First you start with some real-world scenario that the average reader can relate to.  (In education we call this an "anticipatory set.")  This provides that real life tie-in.  Then you introduce some new X2 feature.  "Hey cool, I didn't know X2 could be used to solve this problem!"  This introduces me to an X2 feature that I may have been totally unaware of, but it also provides it in a context of *doing*--though doing vicariously.  Following up with video tutorials buttresses this provides (vicarious) practice, helping even more!

In short,  thanks for the tips  :wink:   -steve
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you are welcome!

the kind of demographic i usually address with most blog articles is people in the mid-to-low-range of geekiness -- it makes sense because there are more of them around :)