software wishing well

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

software wishing well

Post by nikos »

In a recent thread I've asked you to consider parts of xplorer2 that could be turned into stand-alone more focused applications

Now I'm asking: what sort of software (even unrelated to file management) do you wish existed but you can't find? Do you have any tasks you do manually and wish for some software helping hand?

Then we'll see if we can match your needs with some sort of future product description. Usually that's the best way to go forward planning for a new product!

It doesn't matter if you feel that your idea may sound wacky, indeed the stranger the better :) Let's think outside the box!

what would you wish for?
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I used to use an extension that worked in 32bit Windows (all, even Vista) called PropertiesPlus - it had the ability to change any of the attributes of a file - *and* any of the dates, including created, modified and accessed, and had a way of selecting the current date *and* time or any random / arbitrary date time.

I'd like to see this in X2.

I am sure I'll think of more in a bit.

pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Have you tried using shift-F12 to modify attributes including modified and / or created dates?  Has a NOW button for each.
PJ in (sunny) FL

"The hardest thing to admit is what you don't know"
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

A search-replace tool that can not only rename file-names, but also text inside the files.

Expensive software are available for this, but none are so intuitive.

Powergrep
Regexbuddy

[edit]

Another good one: Textcrawler.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

@pj - Yah, but it does not do accessed times....but I should have mentioned that as well, thanks for clarifying it....

dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

for really big copy jobs I use "Supercopy", it has several more copy features than robust transfer has.

http://www.codeplex.com/SuperCopy
damiankrol

Post by damiankrol »

I've got several x2 improvements:
- minimize/restore using global hotkey (like in Winamp),
- minimize on close (rather than exit),
- close/restart/sleep after specified time/events (embedded VistaShutdown-Timer),
- set default previewers (e.g. for video files),
- manage archives (RAR/7z) natively (compression, decompression, default profiles, etc.)

btw. I've noticed that if I have a network drive mapped which is not accessible (e.g. I'm not connected to the network), x2 freezes and tries to connect to it which takes n-ty seconds (20-30) - in the meantime I cannot use the app.