Ideas for this forum? - How to make things more interesting

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Well, the forum seems to be quite busy, notwithstanding that more people seem to be browsing than actually posting (I hope you're not put off by the registration requirement, it's really easy and it's an one-off thing!)

I had a few ideas about the content of this forum. Obviously the questions and answers for user problems are the main issue. But there could be other things like:

<ul>
<li> <b>Weekly tip</b>. Once a week or so I'll post some tip about 2xExplorer (or editor). I suppose that real experts will know these details by now but there are many new and average users that would benefit from things like command line options, command execution etc.
<li><b>News</b>. Telling you about my life & works would be boring :) but a few links every now and then to things I discovered & found interesting would spice things up and take our minds off 2xExplorer.
</ul>

Any other ideas and suggestions welcome!
Nikos
morodan

Post by morodan »

Proposal of new thread: "Editor2 Issues" or something like that

****I ASKED****
Questions about Editor2; could I post it to the 2xExplorer forum?

****ANSWER FROM NIKOS****
yes, the forum is for all of my programs,(...)
NOTE: I'd prefer if you placed any future questions on the dedicated 2xExplorer forum, so that other users might benefit at the same time,
thanks!

2xForum: http://forum.zabkat.com/forums.cgi?forum=14
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Well, no suggestion for the content, but wouldn't it be better (at least for long term) to make at least three seperate categories  (not threads) "Help/Support", "Requests/Suggestions" and "General" to post in somehow? I feel it will be quite confusing and maybe annoying to always  load an increasing requests thread with all the old posts too.

BRX
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

2xExplorer has it’s own category similar to the category for Horses and General. Within those categories are forums and within the forums are related topics. The other categories started the same as 2X with just one category and one forum. After some time a pattern of topics developed that were related. Once there were enough topics a new forum was added and related topics were moved to the new forum. 2X can have more forums added without any problem and it will be done. 2X forum has been up for only one week and I think it is doing quite well, just give it a little time. :thumbup:

With respect to page views verses posts, 2X will always have a high ratio of views per posts. All support forums do. It has nothing to do with registration. Registration is important. If you look at forums that allow people to post without registering, they are a mess. People will do all kinds of nasty things and those forums do not last very long. NetEZ forums have been around for a few years. We have a nice group of people here and rarely have any problems. :)

I visit support forums at websites all the time and even though I am registered, I rarely post. I go to those sites for information. Before I post, I look to see if someone already asked the question and if the question was answered, there is no reason for me to post. In addition, I like to read posts because sometimes they are interesting, you can learn something, and so I read without posting. Many people do the same thing and that is the reason that support forums have a high view to post ratio. :biggrin:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

let's wait and see how this goes. If it gets really big and messy I'll ask Sal to have it broken down to smaller bits (one for the editor etc)