Post by nikos »

have a look at this... http://xplorer2.ourtoolbar.com/
please try it and let me know what you think
it will be probably bundled with the free lite version
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Since you have the Google search integrated, am I to assume that this will help you out in development costs?

Can this be manually Pro users as well (such as myself) in order to help further defray costs for you, or will that matter?

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well it's kind of win-win, I win (a little) and people do their searches as usual. And yes, anybody can install it and use it, and let me know of any problems or recommendations from improvement. It works for internet explorer and firefox, just download and install it from the above location
http://xplorer2.ourtoolbar.com/
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

I hate bundled toolbars in installation packages as a user (free app or not). I believe it will be (is) optional in x2? Although, I haven't seen any bundle toolbar yet in any x2 version (so far so good).

I understand the increase of income it represents from the software editor perspective. For that matter, a utility I sometimes use "Glary Utilities" http://www.glaryutilities.com/gu.html?tag=download is quite elegant. On the bottom of the download page, there is a link for a no-toolbar version. This is not present of sites as Download.com, but only on the software download page. This is in my perspective a WIN-WIN option in the respect of the interest of both parties
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the toolbar is only bundled with the lite version, and there it is optional through a checkbox
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

nikos wrote:the toolbar is only bundled with the lite version, and there it is optional through a checkbox
Fair enough :wink:
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

but it is enabled by default, and also has "recommended" written next to it.

this isn't fair enough in my opinion. this is deceptive in all honesty, as you are not really recommending it are you?

the problem is that a lot of users, like my dad for example, would see 'recommended' and think 'oh well i better do it then because it is recommended and whoever wrote that knows better than me'...

it is in this way that he seems to have been caught out before, and not all toolbars are a good thing. some are evil creations that bring spyware with them, and while i'm not suggesting that this one is anything like that, i doubt it is much good. the reason for its existence is to make money first and foremost, not to be a helpful tool for end users.

for this reason i am disappointed to see xplorer2 being associated with a free toolbar in any way, particularly with its 'recommended' label and on-by-default nature. money is what makes a man act funny...

this is just my opinion, others may differ in theirs, but i am entitled to my own and this is it.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well obviously my motivation is money! is that a sin?
people get a decent file manager for free and in exchange throw a few cents in my direction each time they use the toolbar -- if they use it at all!
that's win-win
and to be frank the cash generated by this toolbar is laughable, and i'm considering dropping it altogether
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

please don't get me wrong, i certainly do not suggest this is a sin!

i have huge respect for you and xplorer2, perhaps then i am just lamenting the sad state of the world where you are unable to make sufficient money on the revenues of xplorer2 alone and have to resort to this.

i also worry about xplorer2's reputation being affected by negative association with the world of toolbars, whether this is rightly or wrongly...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

before the worldwide financial crash i was making decent money, although i knew xplorer2 had a "use by date" -- one day in the not so far future m$ will pull the plug when some windows will come and xplorer2 will not work at all

nowadays, things are really grim like the rest of the world, so i'm considering options again (back to the day job  :shock: )
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

well at least this won't happen with windows 7 which looks essentially like vista sp2 underneath with a new gui on top...

so i am optimistic that there is plenty of life left yet in xplorer2.

in an ideal world microsoft themselves would realise how excellent it is, and buy it off you for millions to put into windows and replace explorer! this is perhaps a bit naive...

do you feel that piracy has made a significant dent in the revenues you get for xplorer2? any ideas of percentages?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:shrug: